DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Anyone using Spectrum with Docker?

Posted Apr 24, 2019 12:22 PM

I'll be migrating my Spectrum Infrastructure to a new Datacenter and was wondering if anyone is using the new Spectrum Dockerization feature in production. If you are, what issues are you running into?

• 2.  RE: Anyone using Spectrum with Docker?

Posted Jul 22, 2019 05:54 PM
    Hi Renato,

I was wondering the same... it would be a good idea posting use cases regarding that

• 3.  RE: Anyone using Spectrum with Docker?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2019 04:16 PM
    I have been using it successfully in a lab environment only.  It works well.
    Faster to setup as well.

I know this doesn't meet the production requirements of your question but development would stand by that its production ready if you chose to do it instead of a traditional VM.

The Docker piece will be getting more attention I believe going forward as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

• 4.  RE: Anyone using Spectrum with Docker?

Posted Aug 01, 2019 02:30 AM
    Edited by Marco Russo Aug 01, 2019 02:30 AM
    Hi,

until now, i only did some smaller tests with a single docker host. 
    I think for production setups i would go with an Openshift cluster, but unfortunately i didn't have time to evaluate the "easy install" and OpenShift stuff, yet.

In general i think it's a huge step forward to have docker images, and it will make deployments so much easyier to set up and automate in the future.

------------------------------
    Regards

Marco

• 5.  RE: Anyone using Spectrum with Docker?

Posted Aug 02, 2019 11:36 AM

After reading through the docs, I understand the current deployment is limited to "Docker" only, there is no generic Kubernetes deployment option.  The resulting issue is that all of the Docker deployed components would have to be managed individually on each Docker host, there would be no "brains" to the deployment, the CA components would be "distributed", but no way to manage the system/services as a whole.

I'm seeing quite a bit of administrative overhead and manual intervention to do even simple tasks.  There is a tool called "Kubernetes" that we run on top of Docker that is the "brains", it controls the scheduling, placement and uptime of the containers, it basically takes away the tedious manual steps and automates them.

I looked through the CA docs and could not find anything related to Kubernetes for this product, so I'm not sure if that sort of deployment model is unsupported or would be a "roll your own" thing that we would have to take on. 

Respectfully,

Aubrey

• 6.  RE: Anyone using Spectrum with Docker?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 02, 2019 11:58 AM
    Development teams are working on enhancing our Docker implementation.

Matthew Gay
    Principal Support Engineer  | Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom

office: 603.334.2127  |
    273 Corporate Drive  | Portsmouth, NH 03801
    Matthew.Gay@broadcom.com   | broadcom.com