DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to use Notification Events as Alarms Generation and clearance

Posted Oct 23, 2018 02:47 AM

Dear Fellows,

I am using spectrum 10.2 i need your help to figure out an situation i am facing with Event. THE IMG i attached is an event of a CISCO CRS8S Router , It consist of a entSensor Threshold notification.

the thing i want to know is its a Temperature data? secondly if its temperature then its of which instance of router?

third is its an event with by default 0 severity and if i want to change a severity of it to major then i never use it as alarm because it has no clearance and also it appears again and again and severity shows on only first instance.

how can i use it as an alarm (generation and clearance) if its Chassis or Card temperature related..

please guide me about its workaround.

• 2.  Re: How to use Notification Events as Alarms Generation and clearance
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2018 07:25 AM

Hello Akash,

The 0x210aa7 event is based on trap. You Cisco device is sending a trap that CA Spectrum maps as the 0x210aa7 event code.

If you change the Severity from "None" to either Minor, Major, or Critical, you will get an alarm once the CA Spectrum receives the trap.

You will need to engage the Cisco device's administrator if you want to change the threshold that generates the trap. You will also need to check if the device will send a new trap when the threshold is reset so CA Spectrum can clear the alarm.

In the $SPECROOT/SS/CsVendor/Cisco_Router/AlertMap file:

# entSensorThresholdNotification # entSensorThresholdValue
    1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.91.2.0.1 0x00210aa7 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.91.1.2.1.1.4(1,2)\
    # entSensorValue
    1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.91.1.1.1.1.4(3,4)

The Trap OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.91.2.0.1 is mapped to 0x210aa7 event code.

https://snmp.cloudapps.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?objectInput=.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.91.2.0.1 

Please read the following CA Spectrum guide regarding Event Configuration:

Event Configuration - CA Spectrum - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  

Similar post at Spectrum community:

Viewing Current Switch Temperature 

Thanks,

Silvio

• 3.  Re: How to use Notification Events as Alarms Generation and clearance

Posted Oct 23, 2018 09:19 AM

Dear Silvio,

The problem is that device is not pushing any clearance trap related to this and Secondly the severity is adjusted to major is only visible for first event others are viewed without any severity and need to be clear older event before generating new one its just a notification and has no clearance.

I think there is a need to apply a condition on the temperature value to make its clearance.

• 4.  Re: How to use Notification Events as Alarms Generation and clearance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2018 09:25 AM

Hi Akash,

Correct, since the device isn't sending the clear trap you will have to either manually clear it or create an event condition rule that automatically clears it after X minutes (use an event pair rule that looks for an event that does not generate, which will trigger another event then have that event clear the initial alarm).  

To generate more than 1 alarm, you need to make it unique -- in Event Configuration under the Alarm section is "Alarm Options"  select the 'Generate a unique alarm for each event' option.

Cheers

Jay

• 5.  Re: How to use Notification Events as Alarms Generation and clearance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2018 09:54 AM

Here's 2 tech doc references for the auto clearing of the alarm (these are different, just close to the same title):

How can SPECTRUM automatically clear an alarm afte - CA Knowledge 

How can SPECTRUM automatically clear an alarm afte - CA Knowledge