DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CAPM Self Cert question

Posted Apr 30, 2019 06:26 AM
      |   view attached

Hi
    I want to create a CAPM Certification to count the number of entries in a table and store that number. I need it to poll the table at the SNMP poll rate and and store the resulting count of entries. I don't need the cert to create a component for each entry in the table (there are 1000s of entries in these tables) ... I just want it to create a single component (with a name based for example on the devices sysName) that will read the mib table and store the number of entries in that table so we can graph over time.

Firstly can anyone confirm this is possible to do? I expect it is as I have had some partial success with this ...

I am able to create a component based on the sysName but have not been able to get this to read a different table to count the entries ... and I have been able to store the count of the entries when I create a component for each entry in the table, the issue with this is there are 1000s of entries in these tables resulting in 1000s of components that are not needed ... so I just need a combination of both to get what I need.

Some more detail as follows ...

I am using the Wireless Controller metric family, as it has the metric 'Number of Active Access Points' defined.

I am trying to create a custom Vendor Cert to read from the Cisco Airespace Wireless mib, in particular the bsnAPOperationStatus from the bsnAPTable, and return the number of entries... I have had partial success but have not managed to get this fully working yet. I either end up with a component for each entry in the table, which can read and store the number of entries in the table ... or I can create a single component based on Mib-2 sysName which won't read the AP table.

I expect this may be possible using Multi-Mib Table Support detailed in the CAPM docs ... something to do with the IndexTagList I'm guessing ... but haven't figured it out just yet.

I have attached a copy of a vendor cert xml that will give an idea of what I'm trying to achieve ... 

If anyone has any pointers I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, John

Attachment(s)

• 2.  Re: CAPM Self Cert question

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2019 12:33 PM

Hi John,

I understand what you've described, but can't find an instance of this being done so am not sure what the right set up would be.

Best case here might be, while trying to figure out the answer, submitting a formal cert request to support. We can then submit it to engineering to see what they can come up with as an officially supported cert.

If going that route, the information in this Knowledge Base article details the required files and data we need in hand before being able to log the request with the certification engineering team.

https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.TEC1323018.html

Thanks,

Mike

• 3.  Re: CAPM Self Cert question

Posted May 02, 2019 06:46 AM

Thanks Mike

I had already started down that route and have opened a cert request now.

Regards, John

• 4.  Re: CAPM Self Cert question

Posted May 02, 2019 06:00 AM

Dear,

Is there any OID for what you want to plot in CAPC if yes then you can add a custom VC in CAPC and its will work perfectly fine.

• 5.  Re: CAPM Self Cert question

Posted May 02, 2019 06:48 AM

Hi

If you read the post you will see I am trying to plot the number of entries in a table, not a specific OID response. If you have some experience in doing this as I describe then I would be grateful if you could share.

Regards, John

• 6.  Re: CAPM Self Cert question

Posted May 07, 2019 05:57 AM

Hi,

One option already provided in CAPC will help you in this you can poll all table by using simple mib then by apply filter on specific component type you can select those to appear only in CAPC.

then you can plot it with you choice.