DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to make CAPC Monitoring Profiles "re-evaluate" all event rules manually.

Posted Jan 31, 2019 03:25 PM

I will spare you all the background as to "why" , but it general here is my question.

- Once a CAPC evaluation generates an event because of a threshold violation, it will not generate another or a new event for that same Event Rule until teh evaluation has gone back below teh threshold and a Clear event is generated.

What I am looking for is a way to manually force all of teh Event Rules to re-fire and generate a new event.

I am being told by CA Support ( from CA Engineering ) that there is no way to do this.

I am told the only way is to modify the create/clear parameters on a specific Event Rule , such that the new parameters will generate a Clear Event. Then modify the parameters back to the original I had set, and wait for teh re-evaluation to generate a new event for over threshold. 

I have over 35 Monitoring Profiles, each profile with between 6 and 12 Event Rules each. It is unrealistic to be expected to modify every one of those Event Rules, wait for a clear, modify the rules back, and wait for an event generation.

Does anyone know if ....

Restarting the "dcmd" process on the CAPC Data Collectors (2 of them) , and "dadaemon" on the CA Data Aggregator , make everything reevaluate ?

Thank You

David

• 2.  Re: How to make CAPC Monitoring Profiles "re-evaluate" all event rules manually.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2019 07:09 AM

Which is your purpose to want the "re-evaluate" all events?

Does the events disappeared from CAPC Events Display or from Spectrum and you need to re-generated?

• 3.  Re: How to make CAPC Monitoring Profiles "re-evaluate" all event rules manually.

Posted Feb 01, 2019 10:40 AM

1 - Some folks in our ECC ( NOC ) clear partition alerts in Spectrum ( accidentally or not ). 

2 - Since the threshold in CAPC is still Raised, CAPC will not send another alert regarding that threshold violation.

3 - I want/need to regenerate the alert in CAPC and have it passed back to Spectrum again .

Thanks.

• 4.  Re: How to make CAPC Monitoring Profiles "re-evaluate" all event rules manually.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2019 02:02 PM

There is no way to delete without damage the tables 

There is two tables on Vertica DB

List of tables
    Schema | Name | Kind | Owner | Comment
    --------+--------------------------------------------------+-------+--------+---------
    dauser | alarm | table | dauser |
    dauser | alarm_clear | table | dauser |

The alarm is generate on Vertica and propagated to CAPC

The following tables has on CAPC mysql em database:

mysql> show tables;
    +-------------------------------+
    | Tables_in_em |
    | data_sources |
    | deleted_events_work |
    | em_items |
    | email_templates |
    | event_consumers |
    | event_identifiers |
    | event_item_info |
    | event_items_old |
    | event_properties |
    | event_property_meta |
    | event_property_meta_l10n |
    | event_type_meta |
    | event_types |
    | event_types_l10n |
    | events |
    | events_l10n |
    | general |
    | item_changes_work |
    | item_grouppath_work |
    | item_members |
    | item_properties |
    | item_property_types |
    | item_types |
    | item_types_l10n |
    | items |
    | notifications |
    | performance_center_properties |
    | producer_for_event_items |
    | revision_info |
    | snmp_profiles |
    | t_tenant |
    | unresolved_event_items |
    | user_definitions |

So to remove an Alarm it is not easy task and I would say impossible .... Sorry

• 5.  Re: How to make CAPC Monitoring Profiles "re-evaluate" all event rules manually.

Posted Feb 01, 2019 02:33 PM

Carlos,

Do you if doing the following will get the CAPC Monitoring Profile evaluation to be redone, and generate a new set of alerts/events for items over threshold?

1 - stop dadaemon on the DA

2 - Stop dcmd on the 2 Data Collectors

3 - Start dadaemon on the DA

4 - Start dcmd on the DCs

Thanks.

• 6.  Re: How to make CAPC Monitoring Profiles "re-evaluate" all event rules manually.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 04, 2019 07:27 AM

If the alerts/events already in Vertica alarm table the DA/DC restart it won't generate the events again but you can send enhancement request asking for include on CAPC Events Display the "Delete" option