DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Change Spectrum Data Source in Performance Center

Posted Aug 09, 2018 12:23 PM

I've run into a little issue with my CAPC.  Running v3.6.

I want to change which Spectrum system it is pointing to, but can not do so.  

If I click "Add" to add an additional Spectrum environment.  For "Source Type", I can not select Spectrum.  So I assume that I can only have 1 Spectrum system defined (correct?).  

If I click on the data source that is already configured and then click "EDIT".  Then update the host name to the new OneClick server that I want it to point to.  I click Test and it tells me "Data Source Test Successful".  However, if I then click "Save", I get "Data source product ID has changed.  Create a new entry for this data source".

If I click the Spectrum data source, I can not click "Delete".

So, I can't add an additional Spectrum data source.  I can't change the existing Spectrum data source.  I can't delete the existing Spectrum data source.

So, how can I change Spectrum OneClick server that CAPC is pointing to (or add an additional OneClick)?

• 2.  Re: Change Spectrum Data Source in Performance Center

Posted Aug 09, 2018 12:26 PM

To give you an idea why I want to do this.  I have CAPC setup in our lab and pointed to our Spectrum 10.2 servers.  I also have some 10.3 beta servers.  I would like to see how the Spectrum 10.3 improvements help NetOps alarm console.

Interestingly it would be fun to be able to have both in the same NetOps console and have the ability to switch back and forth between them, but I can understand that could be troublesome.  But I at least need to find out a way to switch the config from one to the other.

• 3.  Re: Change Spectrum Data Source in Performance Center
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 10, 2018 04:01 AM

I don't think there's a procedure for you're searching to achieve. The way that I did it when I had problems with the integration between the two, is to treat the integration as broken and remove it manually, so you can add it back later, on the other machine. 

If I remember correctly, there was a procedure for clearing a faulty integration between Spectrum and PC. There's a db on the PC that stores all the information required for the integration, it's called netqos. There are several tables that store information on the integrations. On the OneClick server, there's a netqos_integ database that stores the information on the spectrum side. You'd have to drop that altogether. 

If you want, you can try to modify directly on the db the hostname/ip of the machine that you're pointing to. That would not take care of all other steps that would be done if a new integration would be set. So I don't really recommend doing this, as you might end up with a faulty integration you'd have to do the integration from scratch. 

The only information that is exchanged between PC and SPECTRUM is actually the elements monitored and their current life cycle status. PC sends the IP domains to SPECTRUM. I did the removal and reconfiguration of the integration several times, without loosing any data, as the devices once discovered in PM, they don't get deleted. You'd have to be careful however of adding spectrum devices to their corresponding IP domains, once the integration is reconfigured. But If you're talking about a lab environment, that shouldn't be a problem.

For the PC, there's a permission that you need to add, in order for deleting data sources. It's off by default, even for Administrators. Go to Adminstration->Roles->Administrator, select Performance Center in the list, Edit and add the "Delete Data Sources" right to Administrator role. You'll be able to delete the configured Spectrum data source.

Actually this would be your best choice, free of all problems: remove the existing integration and configure it once more on the new machine. 

• 4.  Re: Change Spectrum Data Source in Performance Center

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2018 06:31 PM

You can only have one Spectrum instance integrated with CA PC at any one time. I know of customers that are after more than one but this is the current limit under the current release of CA PC. You will also need to make sure that you are running a newer version of CA PC as well to make sure that the integration will work the best (as in don't link Spectrum 10.3 into PM 3.0 or something old).

I would highly recommend deleting the existing integration and then re-adding the new one. As CatalinF suggests, the deletion can be done through CA PC only once the hidden role attribute has been added. This will take care of the cleanup of the entries in the MySQL database under CA PC. I have seen it where people have tried adjusting this sort of thing and it has got part-way and not cleaned up properly.

You can also delete the data sources through the REST interface (even if you haven't enabled the hidden attribute). Though I would suggest doing it in CA PC since it is easier.

Ed