DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  IP primaire/secondary duplicate for many equipment

Posted Oct 12, 2018 03:17 AM

Hello,

I have a problem with a device named X1 which has a primary IP call IP1.

This same IP1 was discovered by Spectrum for 30 Juniper MX480 devices. This is not the primary IP but a "secondary" IP. This IP1 is used internally by the MX480 by the processor boards.

We see this address IP1 in the table "IP Address Table" in the "Information" of the MX480

The problem is:

Once a trap is sent from the X1 equipment, Spectrum reconciles IP1 X1 equipment and all Juniper MX480 equipment that has this known IP1 but that is not their primary IP.

So, we receive 30 alarms instead of one for X1 equipment.

How can I tell Spectrum to model MX480 only with the primary IP discovery?

PS:
    When I search for equipment via IP address "IP1" in tab "Locater", I found 30 results instead of one.

Chris.

• 2.  Re: IP primaire/secondary duplicate for many equipment

Posted Oct 12, 2018 03:37 AM

You have to option to remove the secondary IP addresses from the configuration of the device. Try to leave it only on the device that I should have it. Or disable the redundancy IP address. 

• 3.  Re: IP primaire/secondary duplicate for many equipment

Posted Oct 12, 2018 03:56 AM

Hi,

My version of spectrum is 10.1.0.0.237.

I had already disabled redundancy.

Can we disable the redundancy discovery at the VMA level?

• 4.  Re: IP primaire/secondary duplicate for many equipment
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 07:45 AM

Hi Chris,

I think this little addition to Spectrum back in 10.2 is what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Jay

Symptom: Traps received from IP addresses that are shared between devices, but from non-management addresses are asserted on all devices. 
    Resolution: Introduced new device attribute UseRPAForTrapProcessing (0x13369) that enables use of the Redundancy Preferred Address (RPA) (0x12d84) list instead of the DeviceIPAddressList (0x12a53) for processing traps. This allows devices to be configured to excluded IPs from trap processing. IPs that are in the Redundancy Excluded Address (REA) (0x12d85) List, are not included in the RPA list and therefore do not participate in trap processing. This functionality is disabled by default, setting UseRPAForTrapProcessing=TRUE enables it. As part of this change, non-global (link-local, site-local, and so on) IPv6 attributes are also excluded from trap processing.
    (10.2.0, DE176524, 00153003) 

• 5.  Re: IP primaire/secondary duplicate for many equipment

Posted Nov 09, 2018 02:34 AM

Hi Jay,

That's exactly it.I just need to wait patiently. I planned to migrate to version 10.3 early next year.

Cheers,

Christophe H.