DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Action code to reload .vnmrc

Posted Aug 31, 2018 05:43 AM

Hi

I was looking for an action code to reload the .vnmrc file and came across the following in the file

/opt/spectrum/SDK/include/VPAPI/CsActionCode.h

,RELOAD_VNMRC                             = 0x10700

Has anyone used this previously? Just want to verify that it is supported and safe to use.

Regards, John

• 2.  Re: Action code to reload .vnmrc
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2018 08:45 AM

Hi John,

This action code was added in 10.2.3.  It is supported and safe to use but does not work for .vnmrc entries that are only read in on startup (alot of what is in the .vnmrc by default).  The code was designed for debugging purposes so that if we (CA) provide a debugging parameter for the .vnmrc you shouldn't need to stop/restart the SS anymore (there of course will be instances in which the need to stop/restart will still be there, but this should minimize that).   Feel free to use it as you see fit.

Cheers!

Jay

• 3.  Re: Action code to reload .vnmrc

Posted Aug 31, 2018 08:49 AM

Hi Jason

Thanks for your reply... of course now I want to know which parameters it does work for  ... is there a list somewhere?

The parameters I want to use it for are max_event_records and snmp_trap_port.

Will it work for those or do I need a restart of the SS?

Regards, John

• 4.  Re: Action code to reload .vnmrc

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:07 AM

Hi John,

Unfortunately we don’t have a list as it was more meant for debugging purposes so if we needed you to add a .vnmrc debugging parameter we would test the action in house to let you know if you need to cycle or not.

I just tested those entries and the action did work for the max_event_records but it did not work for the snmp_trap_port (this one doesn’t surprise me given it’s bound to a port).

HTH!

Jay

• 5.  Re: Action code to reload .vnmrc

Posted Aug 31, 2018 10:15 AM

Thanks Jason, exactly what I needed to know 

• 6.  Re: Action code to reload .vnmrc

Posted Sep 03, 2018 11:35 AM

Hi Jason

I'm afraid the action only half worked for max_event_records 

It seems to set the value of Max Log Size to the new value but it doesn't appear to apply it. I did this on one of our landscapes, changing from the default 20,000 to 200,000. I then shutdown the ArchMgr and if you look at the screenshot you see Max Log Size is set to 200,000 yet the Localy Stored Events never went above 20,000.

Maybe I missed a step ... for info I ran the action against the VNM model.

Are you able to test and verify?

Regards, John

• 7.  Re: Action code to reload .vnmrc

Posted Sep 04, 2018 08:38 AM

John,

I ran a quick test. After changing the value of the max_event_records parameter in the .vnmrc file and running the update command on the VNM model, the value of Mas Log Size is changing BUT the underlying code is not changing until a restart of the SpectroSERVER.

Joe

• 8.  Re: Action code to reload .vnmrc

Posted Sep 04, 2018 12:30 PM

Hi Joe

That's exactly the same as I saw. I guess it's a bug as there is no point at the moment in running the action ... 

Can you flag it and see can you get it fixed?

Regards, John