DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?

Posted Jul 17, 2018 05:18 PM

Anyone out there have FTP working as a protocol option for modern Cisco routers ISR 4000 and/or Cisco 3900/2900 routers?  I get the disallowed on all router devices. 

Noticed that I do not have these MIBS which Cisco says is a dependency for Cisco Flash MIB.  The MIBS compile but when I try to add them after successful compile MIB Tools throws an error like "Error adding module RFC1212-MIB.mib to the MIB Database".  Each MIB compiles but will not add to MIB Tools.  Perhaps I don't need these but have to research more.

RFC1215-MIB.mib

RFC1212-MIB.mib

SNMPv2-CONF.my

• 2.  Re: IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 09:09 AM

Jon,

Can you upload a screenshot of what you are getting when trying to use NCM?

We have had customers in the past use FTP instead of TFTP due to speed issues.  Worked for them okay.

Certainly could be a MIB support problem from the device side - Spectrum will already have those loaded.

-Matt

• 3.  Re: IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 11:36 AM

Hi Matt,

I get "Operation is not available...." trying FTP, SCP, RCP with IOS-SSH device family but TFTP is allowed.  Here's a wireshark of when I tried FTP load firmware task.  You can see it does an snmp set "4" for FTP and a response but I'm not certain why it doesn't go forward.

Maybe it is device or MIB doesn't work properly which would mean no one is using it so that why I'm curious.  The slowest option does work but takes way to long for 400-500 Meg IOS file over WAN.  Using Cisco Prime works for FTP but it doesn't use the MIB.  Just wanted to finalize what I can or can't use and why for IOS-SSH family.

• 4.  Re: IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 11:48 AM

Request from Spectrum to router

Response from router to Spectrum, notice error-status: wrongValue (10)  --maybe this is the device rejecting, not sure.

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.10.1.2.1.1.3  integer 4 is FTP

• 5.  Re: IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 11:53 AM

Thanks Jon.

I assume you have setup the transfer settings already right?

You could Set the NCM_SnmpFirmwareUploadDebugFlag attribute to Yes on the device family collected the debug in the $SPECROOT/SS/VNM.OUT file.

Not sure if we are getting far enough for that debug to kick in but hopefully to get some more info.

Device needs to support CISCO-FLASH-MIB in order for this to work, as far as I know that is the only requirement outside of permissions/privileges.

-Matt

• 6.  Re: IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 03:47 PM

Yep, have the ftp username and password filled in.  This is the debug output from trying to do FTP on an ISR4321 router.

Jul 18 15:39:18 ERROR TRACE at IHHostConfig.cc(1035): Action to determine device support has started
    The device NFABRTR1.vfc.com (0x5610aa) does not support the default family protocol of Unknown
    Device 0x5610aa (NFABRTR1.vfc.com) Supports MIB or Script Firmware Upload: FALSE
    Device 0x5610aa (NFABRTR1.vfc.com) Supports default reload: TRUE
    Device 0x5610aa (NFABRTR1.vfc.com) Supports script cancel reload: TRUE
    Device 0x5610aa (NFABRTR1.vfc.com) Supports Script Cancel Reload: TRUE
    Jul 18 15:39:18 ERROR TRACE at IHHostConfig.cc(1365): Action to determine device support has finished

• 7.  Re: IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2018 03:57 PM

Hi Jon

I came across this note on an older case w/ FTP and Cisco:

does not support the default family protocol of Unknown

" The device does not support the default family protocol of unknown." This
    error message occurs when we try to determine if the device supports the
    protocol and it fails. We try and write to the ciscoFlashCopyEntryStatus,
    the ciscoFlashCopyCommand, and the ciscoFlashCopyProtocol. If the write
    fails, we determine that the device doesn't support the protocol and we
    print this error message.

NEXT ACTION:

To troubleshoot the FTP issue further what you could do is get a wireshark
    capture from the SpectroSERVER to the device and look at the snmp sets to
    the ciscoFlashCopyEntryStatus, ciscoFlashCopyCommand, and the
    ciscoFlashCopyProtocol mib object and check the responses to the snmp set,
    are there errors? Were we setting a "4" for the ciscoFlashCopyProtocol, did
    that fail? The device may not support the FTP protocol.

HTH

~Jay V

• 8.  Re: IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 04:11 PM

Hi Jay,

You're right it is the device.  I got this from Cisco case where they tried via CLI.  Such a shame!!  Will have to look at script option in Spectrum or work on some Python. 

• 9.  Re: IOS-SSH Device Family, Load Firmware Task, and FTP?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2018 09:16 AM

Hi Jon

I did some research on these MIBs. I notice that RFC1215 is included in Spectrum 10.2. But RFC1212 and SNMPv2-CONF I did not see already included. I then went online and grabbed some copies of the MIBs and get the same error when trying to add them.

I found this communities post which mentions RFC1212 is not a real MIB but contain info on how MIB is written. I didn't find the same for SNMPV2-CONF - but maybe these MIBs are not actually required? As you mention, further research is needed. 

MIB adding error (RFC-1212) 

Regards,

Jay V