DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to filter on the Modeling gateway toolkit export.?

Posted Apr 16, 2018 11:57 AM

Hello

I had only one Spectroserver in my environment and due to performance issues i had to move to a distributed environment (DSS) where now i have 3 Spectroserver, i thought i could copy paste the models i have from one Spectroserver to another, now i know is NOT possible so ill have to use the Modeling Gateway toolkit to export the models from my first Spectroserver and import them to their corresponding Spectroservers on the DSS.

We need to know if  with the modeling gateway toolkit is possible to filter in order to just export a corresponding group of devices for example only "server" models, or lets say i just want to export one specific service, or one specific global collection, how can i achieve this with this tool?

Regards.

• 2.  Re: How to filter on the Modeling gateway toolkit export.?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2018 12:11 PM

Hi JEan Franco

Here is information on Modeling Gateway Export information: Export Topology Data from CA Spectrum - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The Configure Export Settings modelinggatewayresource.xml is used to edit the elements you wish to export. 

Although most customers are looking to consolidate landscapes down into less, where you are looking to perform the opposite - what version Spectrum are you running? On 10.0 and up, Spectrum Landscapes can handle 1 million models, and in 10.2 and up, a landscape support Huge Landscape Handle which allows 16 million models. Just wanted to mention that in case there was an opportunity to upgrade. 

HTH

~Jay V

• 3.  Re: How to filter on the Modeling gateway toolkit export.?

Posted Apr 16, 2018 12:25 PM

Thanks for the quick response volja01.

I have been looking at the documentation of the modeling gateway, but still i can't identify in there, if its possible to just extract a container and its content or only one service for example.

We wanted to upgrade to 10.2 and use the huge landscape handle but it specifies that is only for new installations. Is there a way to move there for existing installations.?

Regards.

• 4.  Re: How to filter on the Modeling gateway toolkit export.?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2018 12:38 PM

Hi Jean Franco

I would have to double check the Modeling Gateway documentation to see if there is a way to export "some" containers or "some" global collections. If anyone else has some suggestion, please feel free to mention here. 

As for upgrade to 10.2 with Huge Landscape handle, it would be considered a new install as the architecture is different enough where an upgrade from a previous version is not possible. However, you can either remodel your environment in the new install of 10.2, or you can use Modeling Gateway here as well, and export from your existing landscape and import into a new 10.2 Huge Landscape handle environment. The nice thing here is you could export using default options in modelinggatewayresource.xml as you want to export/import everything.

Here is a doc which mentions some upgrade scenarios and the benefits/considerations for each scenario: 

Scenarios for upgrading to CA Spectrum 10.2 

• 5.  Re: How to filter on the Modeling gateway toolkit export.?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2018 07:40 AM

Hi Jean,

Here an example of exporting the models from a particular container called "UK Remote Site" using Modeling Gateway Toolkit.

Thanks,

Silvio

• 6.  Re: How to filter on the Modeling gateway toolkit export.?

Posted Apr 18, 2018 11:44 AM

I have done this and my suggestion is to still export in pieces. we exported all in one file and had corruption which was a horrible endeavor to fix. if you export into the many different parts the import is a much smoother process. going to regular to huge models can be done though it is a muti-step process that has to be done just so. I had to get my SE and development to go over this and make sure we had all necessary steps and in the correct order.

• 7.  Re: How to filter on the Modeling gateway toolkit export.?

Posted Apr 20, 2018 09:13 AM

In the .modelinggatewayresource.xml file, there is the following parameter:

<RootContainerToExport model_type="Universe" model_name=""/>

This will export all topology and modeling information from the container model and below only. By default it is set to the Universe. All of the contents of the root container and each of its subcontainers are exported.

Joe