DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Spectrum 10.3: Does InnoDB automatically repair itself on crash?

Posted Nov 30, 2018 11:51 AM

Hi everyone,

As a Spectrum 10.2.x customer, and quite a few 9.x versions as well, I've had to manually repair the Archive Manager using ./ArchMgr.exe --repair any time the process is terminated ungracefully.

This can mean hours of fun. I've read that for Spectrum 10.3 the ddmdb can now be migrated to InnoDB which according to:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/10-3-0/en/installing-and-upgrading/upgrading#Upgrading-PostUpgradeTasks

Supports "auto crash recovery features".

1) Any chance that InnoDB and MyISAM have been benchmarked by the Spectrum team? The same link also lauds certain performance benefits in accordance with MYSQL best practices.

2) Can the Archive Manager actually fix itself so that I no longer need to deal with repairing it and manually restarting it after a forced reset or shutdown?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Spectrum 10.3: Does InnoDB automatically repair itself on crash?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2018 06:18 AM

Hi Lilah,

To recover from a MySQL server crash, the only requirement is to restart the MySQL server. InnoDB automatically checks the logs and performs a roll-forward of the database to the present. InnoDB automatically rolls back uncommitted transactions that were present at the time of the crash.

Event table is partitioned to speed up the data retrieval.

Each partition of the event table contains one day of data.

The number of partitions will be equal to Archive Manager event retention period + 1 (future date)

Thanks,

Silvio

• 3.  Re: Spectrum 10.3: Does InnoDB automatically repair itself on crash?

Posted Dec 03, 2018 03:44 PM

That's great, thanks. Archive manager's frailty was definitely a big gripe.

Any news regarding performance benchmarks for ArchMgr on InnoDB?

• 4.  Re: Spectrum 10.3: Does InnoDB automatically repair itself on crash?

Posted Dec 03, 2018 03:51 PM

Performance remains unchanged from the different database engines.