DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Suppressed Alarms

• 1.  Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 05, 2017 10:36 AM

I have added voice devices in my environment to spectrum. But most of the time whenever there is flap it shows suppressed alarm not a critical alarm. Can anyone help me on this?

• 2.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 05, 2017 01:04 PM

Hi Anuvansh - I have moved this post to the Spectrum community as you had posted it in Service Management originally.    The folks in the Spectrum community should be able to further assist you on this.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 05, 2017 01:34 PM

Hi,

In basic CA Spectrum, the fault isolation feature determines which devices are the root cause of an issue and changes the condition of the other affected devices to “suppressed.” By default, CA Spectrum does not generate alarms for these suppressed devices. This feature minimizes unnecessary alarms and helps you to more quickly resolve networking issues.

• 4.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 06, 2017 04:58 AM

Thanks for reply but as voice devices are connected through network so whenever there is any error at network end that is gonna affect voice devices as well. So every time root cause will be network device and hence for voice devices there will be suppressed alarm. Is there any way that I can get the separate alarms for voice devices.

Or if at the time of discovering voice devices will the option discover only will solve this problem? As right now when I discovered them I selected discover and model automatically!

• 5.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 06, 2017 09:21 AM

No problem. If the devices are discovered as pingable, you would probably see up and down alerts but the end devices should be reachable.

If due to network issues,  Spectrum cannot communicate with the end devices, you would not get status update. 

There is a way to disable suppressed alarm, see if it helps you.

• 6.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 06, 2017 11:45 AM

Thanks for  the help sirha02

What I am planning to do now is going to model

In Component Detail - Alarms - Open a dialog to change filter - Severity

Right now in hide option there is suppressed

So if In show tab I move that suppressed.

Will this throw me suppressed alarm for that model over the email?

• 7.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 06, 2017 01:30 PM

No problem. It could send - provided you have configured SANM filter to include Suppressed alarms.

• 8.  Re: Suppressed Alarms
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 03:42 PM

I would be very careful when enabling suppressed alarms (and I usually advise against it).  When there are outages to core devices, this could cause thousands of suppressed alarms to generate.  Suppressed alarms generate on application models and interfaces.  So if you have a large network device with 500 interfaces go down, you are going to get at least 500 suppressed alarms (then all of the suppressed alarms for everything "downstream"). 

Instead, maybe a better option for you is to just delete the connections to the Voice models in the Topology view.  If there is no connection, when the upstream device goes down, instead of suppressing the alarm, Spectrum will generate a Critical alarm on it (assuming you have the attribute set for value_when_red=7).

Cheers!

Jay

• 9.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 12, 2017 07:14 AM

Thanks everyone

• 10.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 06, 2017 11:33 PM

Anuvansh,

I would go with Jay's advise.

• 11.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 05, 2017 03:58 PM
      |   view attached

It might be that those events are set to be suppressed since they are flapping.  What is/are the event code(s) that are generated?

• 12.  Re: Suppressed Alarms

Posted Dec 06, 2017 04:59 AM

Thanks for the reply but those devices are not configured as SNMP they are discovered as pingable devices only.