DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service

Posted Jan 15, 2018 11:54 PM

Hello All,

Having issues with starting the Data Collector service after upgrading to 3.5 , I see the below error in the log file .The DC was working absolutely fine before the upgrade 

Unable to update instance pid: Unable to find root instance in /app/CA/IMDataCollector/apache-karaf-2.4.3/instances/instance.properties

Tied to uninstall the DC and reinstall it, but the issue still remains the same . We have another DC under the DA which is working fine , issue is specific to this particular DC only

The connectivity between DC and DA is good 

Any clues on how to troubleshoot this issue please?

• 2.  Re: CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2018 03:21 AM

Hi Phani,

this event message in karaf.out doesnt tell much. I would suggest opening a CA support ticket with a CA Remote Engineer diagnostics package attached.

Greetings,

Lutz.

• 3.  Re: CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service

Posted Jan 16, 2018 03:41 AM

Hi Lutz,

I already have a ticket open with support. Just posted in communities to see if I can get any quick tips  from anyone already faced a similar issue 

Regards,

Phani

• 4.  Re: CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service

Posted Feb 01, 2018 03:55 PM

Phani, was this resolved thru your case?    if no, perhaps this reply will get you some more tips...

• 5.  Re: CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service

Posted Feb 01, 2018 05:35 PM

Yea, I think I figured out the problem after some research. In case anyone is interested to know...

CA introduced a bunch of new ports in CA PM 3.5 release for communication between DC and DA which were not available in 3.2 . As one of our DC is in a secure site, the new set of ports were not enabled by default for communication . These need to be specifically opened on the Firewall to allow the communication (I am still trying to get this done).

I feel my issue should be resolved after I get these new ports open. 

CA should do a better job of informing customers when they introduce something new which impacts the application like the ports. The DC service was not even getting started after the upgrade to 3.5 and our DC was down for days before we figured out the issue is because of the ports which were newly added .

• 6.  Re: CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service

Posted Feb 06, 2018 08:31 AM

hi Phani, glad you resolved your issue and I will be sure to make sure the right eyes see your feedback! thank you for sharing your experience with the community. 

• 7.  Re: CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service

Posted Feb 05, 2018 06:11 PM

Opening the new ports added in 3.5 resolved my issue 

• 8.  Re: CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2018 02:32 PM

Hi Phani!

Thanks for the feedback and I'm disappointed to learn you had a negative experience during the process.

I worked with the R&D team and the documentation team to understand how we can better communicate important considerations such as these port updates. I did learn we called this requirement out in the Data Collector documentation but I had the team clarify the verbiage as well as to add to the Data Aggregator upgrade documentation. Given the Data Collector upgrade is rather straight forward, I don't expect many customers to read that particular document.

Here's the link to the updated documentation: https://docops.ca.com/ca-performance-management/3-5/en/upgrading/upgrade-the-data-aggregator

Glad you were able to get this working on hopefully others can avoid the same setback.

Thanks!

Jason

• 9.  Re: CA PM - Unable to start Data Collector service

Posted Feb 06, 2018 05:21 PM