DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CA PM - Min. Number of Data Repository Nodes- 3?

Posted Mar 12, 2018 01:47 AM

Hello All,

Is it mandatory to have at least 3 nodes part of the Data repository ? I see the sizing tool does not allow anything less than 3 . I understand there are certain advantages of a 3 node cluster instead of a single node DR but in certain scenarios the resource requirements (CPU, Memory, Disk) for a 3 node cluster are quite enormous and if we decide to go with a single node would there be any issues ?

Are there any customers who are running CA PM in a single node or does everyone choose to go with a multi node cluster for DR?

Please let me know your thoughts 

• 2.  Re: CA PM - Min. Number of Data Repository Nodes- 3?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 12, 2018 03:13 AM

Hi Phani,

all the time we have had customers running with single node DR/Vertica system, especially in smaller scale environments as described here Install a Low-Scale System - CA Performance Management - 3.5 - CA Technologies Documentation  

The sizer reflects this option as well when scaling e.g. a system with less than 150.000 polled items ( e.g. 3.500 devices).

For larger environments we recommend 3 node (or even more) clusters, which not only tolerate single node failures but also provide distribution of query load.

Hth,

Lutz.

• 3.  Re: CA PM - Min. Number of Data Repository Nodes- 3?

Posted Mar 12, 2018 07:20 PM

Hi Lutz,

Thanks for your comments, the number we are looking for is way above 3500 device limit so may be we should consider a 3 node cluster . I agree there are surely advantages of having a 3 node cluster for a large environment, but resource requirements provided by the sizing tool looks enormous when considering the CPU, Memory and Disk ( data+backup) compared to what we have been using for eHealth. 

Anyways we will consider our resource availability and make a choice 

Thanks, Phani

• 4.  Re: CA PM - Min. Number of Data Repository Nodes- 3?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2018 10:21 AM

Hi Phani,

Just wanted to see if you had any other questions regarding the Vertica configuration after Lutz's response.  As for the sizing in comparison to eHealth there is definitely a substantial difference when considering the DR component in particular.  It is this sort of requirement that allows the k-safe functionality and adds the extra redundancy that keeps you up and running if a node goes down.

Troy