DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Topology connections missing between Switch and Pingables

Posted Jan 19, 2018 03:59 AM

I have a scenario where my switch has a physical connections with some pingable devices and camaras and this connections are not identified with device connected attribute and as a result of this i cannot see topology connections.

Let me know whether CA Spectrum cannot detect connection with Pingable devices else connections in my set-up were not detected?

If connections in my set-up not detected by Spectrum then kindly let me know the needful.

Regards,

Vishnu Prasad

• 2.  Re: Topology connections missing between Switch and Pingables

Posted Jan 19, 2018 04:16 AM

The easy answer is that Spectrum can detect connections between Pingables and Switches, if it can identify how they are connected.

However, that means that first Spectrum must be able to find the MAC address of the pingable.  It might get that from arp caches or reading it from the arp tables on the routers.  Additionally, it needs to be able to find the MAC address on the switch via something like the bridge tables.  Most times, everything talks well together.  However, there are times when the MAC may not be able to be found, or switches don't support the needed mibs to identify the ports where the MAC was heard.  Since there are so many pieces that make up the process, your best bet for tracking down where it is failing is to open a ticket with support.

I have seen situations where Spectrum can map out massive networks that are primarily pingables, and I have a situation where the same switch with two different firmwares, one will map one won't because they broke the mib.

Worst case, you can map the connections manually, and even "lock" the connections so that they don't get removed.

• 3.  Re: Topology connections missing between Switch and Pingables

Posted Jan 19, 2018 08:21 AM

Hi Williams,

Can CA Spectrum detect topology connections with Camaras and video devices?

Regards,

Vishnu Prasad

• 4.  Re: Topology connections missing between Switch and Pingables

Posted Jan 26, 2018 10:35 AM

It doesn't matter what type of device it is.  As long as Spectrum can identify the MAC and can read the switch's table to identify what port it is on.  There are so many different combinations that your best option is to contact support and have them guide you through gathering the information to find out if the equipment that you have supports discovering the connections.  They helped us greatly last year identifying that a particular Juniper firmware did not support the bridge mibs, but once we upgraded or downgraded those switches we were good.

• 5.  Re: Topology connections missing between Switch and Pingables

Posted Jan 19, 2018 04:40 AM

Thanks William for information shared.

In my set-up, Pingable devices are discovered with their MAC address and the connection are not discovered.

Performing rediscovery and discovery of connection not much helped.

Regards,

Vishnu Prasad