DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Monitoring NonSNMP devices - Telemetry only

Posted Jan 30, 2018 04:50 PM

What are my options for monitoring devices that only support Telemetry data?

I just had my first request for Spectrum to monitor some devices that no longer support SNMP.  To get information from these devices I am going to have to subscribe to their Kafka bus and consume the information that they are publishing.  This will be configuration information and also announcements about issues.

I know that Spectrum's DCE can be updated to support technologies other than SNMP.  In fact, we have the TL1 module for when we had to monitor TL1 devices.  Has anyone built anything similar for being a consumer on a Kafka bus?

I have built a connector for Event Integration that lets me be a producer on a Kafka bus, so if I have to, I may be able to do the same for consuming.  My concern is also modeling complex models (like switches and routers) that have multiple ports.  That could be quite cumbersome for building out those models.

Hoping there is already a solution in place or in the works.

• 2.  Re: Monitoring NonSNMP devices - Telemetry only

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 30, 2018 05:59 PM

Hopefully, Nagesh_Jaiswal  and/or dieti01 will chime in as well, but I suspect the answer is CA Mediation Manager ( CA Mediation Manager Home - CA Mediation Manager - 3.5 - CA Technologies Documentation  ) since its purpose is to pull data from non SNMP sources and bring them into CAPM, eHealth, and Spectrum.  I'm not aware of an existing device pack for subscribing to a Kafka bus but it sounds like a good use case.  

• 3.  Re: Monitoring NonSNMP devices - Telemetry only

Posted Oct 25, 2018 04:39 PM

Hi William,

We are in a similar situation, where Telemetry is the only option for monitoring certain devices and we are trying to figure out how can we get the data into Spectrum. Have you found any better solution for this?

• 4.  Re: Monitoring NonSNMP devices - Telemetry only

Posted Oct 25, 2018 05:18 PM

There are a couple of routes we are looking at.

1 - for a full solution that will also link in with the SDN equipment we are thinking about VNA.  That way we keep in touch with changes in real time.

2 - for basic information, such as getting simply telemetry data fed into Spectrum, what we are doing is creating our own interface that will listen for the telemetry information and then create events via the REST interface into Spectrum

• 5.  Re: Monitoring NonSNMP devices - Telemetry only

Posted Oct 26, 2018 08:50 AM

We are pursuing similar strategy: SDN monitoring with VNA and for telemetry we working on a system spinning all the data into SNMP alerts and feeding it into Spectrum.

We are still testing out both and still keeping our options open.