We are replacing end of life router hardware in our environment. When we replace a router the System name stays the same and is used in our DNS per our standards. In our case the IP address of the loopback interface for managment on the router is also changing. As a result two devices with the same name show up in CA Performance Center. However, the data aggregator is not picking up the newest device and no polling is taking place. Perhaps because the router name is exactly the same and it already shows up in data aggregator. I have deleted the old router in Spectrum and can mark the old router as retired in CA PC but Data Aggregator will still not poll it. I suppose it may become important to keep the data from the old router and merge it to the new router.
I'm not sure what is the proper workflow for this scenario. See screenshots that are attached. I've opened a support case and waiting for update on that but am certain other folks may have encountered the scenario on replacing hardware that happens to have a different management IP as the original but same name.
Sorry nobody responded to this until now.
A few questions for you to start off here.
What CAPM release is involved?
Are these devices being inserted to CAPM via Spectrum integration synchronization or via DA based discovery profile runs?
If Spectrum is integrated and contributing the devices to PM, what Spectrum release is it?
Does this problem remain an issue for you? I hope not at this point, but if so please do let us know if we can still assist further with this.
Alternatively, if you have a moment let us know if this is no longer an issue and we'll close up this open question thread in the communities.
Yes, it is still an issue. However, my work flow is just to manually delete the old router hostname which allows DA to pick up the new router with same hostname via Spectrum or Performance Center. We are running PM 2.8 and Spectrum 10.1 with the synchronization with Spectrum as data source to PM. It seems that DA will not add the new device as it has the same hostname but different management IP. I did open a case on the issue but tech support did not think it to be an issue ultimately. So that's when it seemed the best thing to do is delete the old devices from DA to allow new devices to be picked up.