DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Posted Mar 03, 2016 01:13 PM

I would like to start a discussion around how you keep your Spectrum systems up to date with the latest changes on your devices and the connections in your network.  Please reply with how you maintain your Spectrum map, whether it is through Spectrum components, other CA tools, other vendors tools or even your own special processes, scripts and tools.

As you know, Spectrum does a great job breaking down a device and discovering what capabilities the device has.  It also does a good job figuring out how devices are connected.  But without an accurate, complete modeling of the devices and connectivity, Spectrum can have a difficult time identifying the root cause.

We have struggled with this concept for years.  We have tried using Autodiscovery, custom scripts and internal processes.  Still years later, we have difficulties keeping everything up to date.  New cards are added to routers.  New devices are added to the network.  Vendors mangle standard mibs or only support their proprietary mibs which can make it difficult for Spectrum to learn all the connections.

So, how do you keep your landscape up to date?

• 2.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Posted Mar 03, 2016 01:39 PM

To start the discussion off, here is what we do.

To add devices into Spectrum we use two methods:

1. We have an in-house developed tool that is supposed to validate that a device can be properly managed (tests for SNMP and other configurations).  Once it passes, then it can add the device to the various tools in our environment.  This is done once when the device is added and again to remove the device at the end of it's life.
    2. Our admins will also manually add a device if asked.  This is generally for devices that can't be tested but still need to be managed.  Or for adding in support for other management systems (such as southbound gateway support)

Connectivity mapping is handled in several ways:

1. The in-house tool mentioned above tries to discover the connectivity of a device when it is added by enabling the flag in the Modeling Gateway xml that requests a discovery.
    2. For a portion of our network, we have information stored in a CMDB.  So we utilize that information through a script that parses the CMDB and generates Modeling Gateway imports and updates to update device connections, create World model hierarchies and build out Service Models.  This has been quite successful for this set of devices, but it doesn't cover the entire network.
    3. Our admins will also map out connectivity information.  Some areas are modeled better than others because this tends to be a very time intensive process.  Auto discovery can do some, but may move devices around and has difficulty with some devices such as Juniper switches.

Pros -

• the in-house tool process tries to keep our monitoring systems in sync.
    • the CMDB helps to automate inventory information and lets us define services and utilize service manager intelligence.

Cons -

• we don't find everything on the network.  The manual process can be time consuming.  We loose accuracy due to the manual nature of the tool and the admin updates.
    • The CMDB doesn't cover the entire network, so much of the network becomes out of date quickly.  Manual updates are infrequent and time consuming.
    • If a device changes, such as an engineer adds a card to a router, our model becomes out of date and inaccurate.

Alternatives tried:

• Autodiscovery - tries to relocate models.  Sometimes even if we have the attribute set not to relocate it.  So we have limited the use of auto discovery.
    • Discover connections after link up Events - on large devices this can impact Spectrum performance.  Especially if there are ports flapping.  We have brought Spectrum servers down with this enabled.

Ideas we have contemplated. 

• scheduling a cron job to periodically run the reconfigure action on models via CLI.
    • using auto discovery to find devices, but not model them.  Use it to feed the in-house tool.
    • Using third party discovery tools
    • building our own connection modeling tool so that we can try to discover connections for devices that Spectrum can't figure out.

Suggestions?

• 3.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Posted Mar 03, 2016 03:02 PM

We're doing something very similar (in house inventory tool that verifies snmp, then pushes to Spectrum via modeling gateway).

One thing that we have done to try to catch human error is set up an autodiscovery that walks all of the IP ranges that we use for network device management addresses.  It's scheduled to run weekly and auto export full results as a CSV, and not model anything.  We then have a script that compares the results to the contents of the inventory tool and sends the differences to us.  This has helped a ton with undocumented devices, but it hasn't helped as much with undocumented changes to existing devices.

We've also got the in house inventory tool doing it's own discovery every night.  If sysobject ID of a device changes, it pushes a delete and then an add to Spectrum.  If firmware version, name, or IP change, it pushes a change.

The biggest gap we have is with point to point links, especially redundant links.  I have yet to find a satisfactory way of handling lack of information about link changes.

• 4.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Posted Mar 03, 2016 04:09 PM

WILLIAM BARNES wrote:

1. We have an in-house developed tool that is supposed to validate that a device can be properly managed (tests for SNMP and other configurations). Once it passes, then it can add the device to the various tools in our environment. This is done once when the device is added and again to remove the device at the end of it's life.

What logic does the import script use to determine where in the Universe Topology to place the device?

WILLIAM BARNES wrote:

• Discover connections after link up Events - on large devices this can impact Spectrum performance. Especially if there are ports flapping. We have brought Spectrum servers down with this enabled.

Have you tried this on Spectrum v10.x?  I'm wondering if Spectrum would be able to handle this once on this version.  Or alternatively, maybe the "DeviceDiscoveryAfterReconfig (0x11d27)" would work better, along with the scheduled reconfig script you mentioned.

WILLIAM BARNES wrote:

• using auto discovery to find devices, but not model them. Use it to feed the in-house tool.

This is a good idea.  I hadn't thought of passively using the AutoDiscovery in this way.

Thanks for starting this thread.  Unfortunately I don't have anything more to add since it seems we're about in the place as you.  It's refreshing to at least hear this is a common problem, rather than us just overlooking the silver bullet Spectrum feature to solve all of these problems.

• 5.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 03, 2016 04:21 PM
      |   view attached

I’d like to note that in 9.4.2.1 and above we added the “Discover Connections During Scheduled Discovery” option to the Autodiscovery gui.  Previously any scheduled discovery would not discover/update the connections for models that already existed.  With this option selected, you can run scheduled discoveries at night to update the model connectivity.

I know this doesn’t solve the issue, but I wanted to throw it out there for those that may not be aware as it has helped to keep Spectrum modeling more accurate in many environments…

Cheers

Jay

• 6.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Posted Mar 04, 2016 02:58 PM

If that option is checked, what is the scope of connection discovery?

• 7.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2016 11:21 AM
      |   view attached

It should be in context of the models in the discovery (and possibly their connected devices) however every now and again I have seen it jump outside of that (not sure why)…

• 8.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Posted Mar 07, 2016 11:31 AM

Bill_Barnes and mwegner are describing their use of the AutoDiscovery as being passive though, where they're only using it for Discovery but not for Modeling - and I'm now considering this approach too.

Does the “Discover Connections During Scheduled Discovery” option take effect if the AutoDiscovery does not go into the Modeling process?

• 9.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2016 03:33 PM
      |   view attached

I don’t believe so.  I believe it’s only invoked during the modeling phase…

• 10.  Re: How to keep Spectrum models and connections accurate?

Posted Mar 07, 2016 05:56 PM

We do something similar. I have some scripts which check the info before I even try to model it in Spectrum, and get additional information such as device model, etc.

I have also written some logic config which determines which landscapes the device needs to be modelled on and then checks that both landscapes can actually poll the device based on some settings.

Container placement is also determined by different logic based on where the device add request is coming from. This is based mainly on naming standards.

The scripts were written that if the landscape allocation logic changes the devices will be moved to the new landscape and removed off the old one.

Once the device is added, we look for different information on the ifAlias to extract information such as circuit ID's etc. We also use this to set if we want Spectrum to monitor a particular interface on the device.

We use Spectrums Discover Connections and automatically monitor any connected devices as well.

Once a device is modelled, We do a lot of automated daily checks:

1. Check if there are any devices which have the 'DIFFERENT TYPE MODEL' alarms. These are deleted and re-modelled automagically as this indicates that the device was upgraded/changed out.

2. We also check to see that we are at least getting some traps. We assume we should get at least 1 trap a day if properly configured.

3. We also look for devices which are down for more than X days and query these with Networks

4. If a device is in Maintenance Mode and down for more than X days we also query it as sometimes our L1 engineers forget to take them out of maintenance mode.

5. Make sure we have recent configs for devices that are using NCM

6. Make sure the backups have run successfully, and that the landscapes are in sync.

7. Flag any 'Initial' state Models. We don't like the initial state for pingable model. This hardly happens but do the check anyway Empty containers also change to 'Initial' state so easy to delete these.

8. Check for any 'Unknown trap received' events so we can map them using Event Config.

9. We generate a lot of reports from Spectrum e.g. Different types of alarms, e.g. VNM related alarms (Spectrum operation) and other critical alarm types.

10. I have a random checker that does SNMP checks to see if the device in Spectrum has everything right. The random devices get taged so can't be chosen again unless every other device has been checked.

11. Scripts are also checking and alerting if any integration isn't working - like if we don't get a specific dump file when we expect to.

12. Using trap-based auto discovery to find devices not modelled (we hide the 'New Devices' container by using a 'Hidden' security string.

There's more but can't think of much more than that.