DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Total number of bits used for landscape and models still 32 bits?

• 1.  Total number of bits used for landscape and models still 32 bits?

Posted Mar 07, 2017 08:08 AM

I've noticed the new 'bits' setting for landscapes which used to default to 20 which provides just over 1M model handles per landscape.

The new settings are 20, 22 and 24 (1M, 4M and 16M). My question is based on this the number of landscapes becomes less, since we are 'using' some bits from the landscape ID.

My question is how many bits are used in total for both the landscape ID and model component?

I'm assuming 32, but is the correct? I'm trying to get my scripts to accommodate the new bits setting and need to work out what the maximum allowable landscape handles are for each option, as well as working out the max model handle per landscape.

I'm assuming 20 bit option gives you capability to have 1024 landscapes,

22 bit will give you 256 landscapes, and 24 bit option will give you 64.

Is this correct? Are all 3 options valid 20,22 and 24? Not much about this in the docs, except:

CA Spectrum r10.2, enables you to opt for increased capacity and scale by allowing you to monitor huge number of devices with fewer landscapes. Using the Huge Landscape Handle type (during installation), you can create landscapes which can support huge model count (beyond 1 Million models per SpectroSERVER). Landscape handles are multiples of 64. 
    This option is only available for fresh installs and best suited for new DSS environments and new single-server installations. This capability is not supported for upgrade and migration scenarios. Currently you can scale upto 2 million models per SpectroSERVER. 

You need to use the same Landscape Handle type throughout DSS environment, i.e. if you select Huge Landscape Handle type during installation, you need to assign the landscape handles in multiples of 64, and if you select the Legacy Landscape Handle type, you need to assign landscape handles in multiples of 4.

Thanks,

Frank

• 2.  Re: Total number of bits used for landscape and models still 32 bits?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2017 10:15 PM

Hi Frank,

Legacy Landscape:

Model Handle (32 bits) = Landscape bits (12 bits) + Model bits (20 bits)

Huge Landscape (available 10.2 onward):

Model Handle (32 bits) = Landscape bits (8 bits) + Model bits (24 bits)

I hope this clears your doubts.

• 3.  Re: Total number of bits used for landscape and models still 32 bits?

Posted Mar 08, 2017 07:10 AM

Thanks for the confirmation!