DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Change landscape handle in Spectrum

Posted Jun 12, 2017 09:56 PM

Hello All,

I have two different spectrum environments as of below

Spectrum 10.2  (Distributed)

Spectrum 9.4.2.1 (Standalone)

I am planning to move the database running on standalone SS 9.4.1 to 10.2 Distributed , part of the process is also to change the landscape handle when moving to distributed .

The plan is to use the migration path by copying the ssdb from the old system to new system and run the installer to upgrade the database version to 10.2 and change the landscape before adding it to distributed environment 

Migration and database upgrade went through successfully from 9.4 to 10.2 but facing a issue with changing the landscape handle before adding it to distributed environment 

Below is the procedure I have followed to change the landscape handle 

- Take a backup of ssdb (with lh =4)

- Initialize the ssdb

- Change the landscape using lh_set utility (lh=8) and the new landscape handle is set successfully 

- Do a model only load from the backup database (lh=4 db backup)

Once the ssdbload completes the landscape handle again reverts back to the old one ie., lh=4 , it does not retain the new handle of 8 after the model only load.

Is this the expected behavior ? 

Any advice on changing the landscape handle in my scenario please or any better option to follow for the move from standalone to dist ?

PS: I have also considered the option to use the modeling gateway to export and import the devices, containers and topology layout to the new environment instead of following the above procedure , but I have seen some articles suggesting not to use modeling gateway tool if there is a difference in versions ..so just wondering which is a better option 

• 2.  Re: Change landscape handle in Spectrum
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 13, 2017 07:23 AM

Phani,

That is the expected behavior. You cannot change the landscape handle of a populated database.

Since you already have the database migrated to 10.2, run a modeling gateway export of the 10.2 database, initialize the database to legacy and then use lh_set to change the landscape handle. Then use the modeling gateway to import the export file created earlier.

Joe

• 3.  Re: Change landscape handle in Spectrum

Posted Jun 13, 2017 07:31 AM

Thanks Joe, this is a good idea