DX NetOps Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

How to Query DNS for pingables

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  How to Query DNS for pingables

    Posted 03-09-2017 03:58 PM

    After building my topology I am running into an issue where I have a huge list of IP addresses however in the 'list' view it just shows the IP in the name. 

     

    Is there a way to have spectrum query internal DNS for Pingable's FQDN? How do I go about doing this? 

     

    I tried going to the VNM to change the "Model Naming Order" But unless it models the devices through either Public or V2c/3 snmp strings, Pingables just show up as their respective IP addresses. 

     

    Any help is much appreciated.

     

    Thanks 



  • 2.  Re: How to Query DNS for pingables

    Posted 03-09-2017 04:55 PM

    Are you sure that you're able to do a reverse lookup ( nslookup IPADDRESS ) on those IPs from the SpectroSERVER?  If you have the naming order set correctly, I would expect the model names to be set to the DNS entries.



  • 3.  Re: How to Query DNS for pingables

    Posted 03-09-2017 05:01 PM

    Hey Robert, 

     

    I can successfully do nslookups on the 200+ entries on the Server where spectrum is installed yes. Is there a seperate DNS/network tool within spectroServer or Oneclick console that I may need to configure manually? 



  • 4.  Re: How to Query DNS for pingables
    Best Answer

    Posted 03-09-2017 05:56 PM

    I tried it out here (Spectrum 10.2) and for new pingable models, it works fine where the model is named according to what is in DNS.  However, existing models that are named by the IP address don't get renamed after hitting the "Re-evaluate model names" button.  Maybe try deleting one and re-adding it to see if you get the same behavior?  If you do, then the issue is with re-evaluating the model names.  I would expect re-evaluate to produce the same result as creating a new model so I would consider that idea/bug. 



  • 5.  Re: How to Query DNS for pingables

    Posted 03-10-2017 02:57 PM

    Hey Robert, 

     

    Thank you very much for your help. I did the following and after that, it worked like a charm.(although all changes were probably not necessary):


    1. Changed Location Server to reflect the FQDN in the SpectroServer Console
    2. Changed the VNM name to use the same FQDN
    3. Re-evaluated, no change.
    4. Re-discovered /23 subnet. It renamed about 5% of devices, however, remaining 270 devices in the particular test vlan had stayed with IP.
    5. Tried deleting one host and re-discovered the single host, success in grabbing hostname.
    6. Deleted entire subnet of hosts and performed a rediscover. All host names are now populated.

     

    Thanks again