DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Migrate CA Performance Mangement 2.2 to CA Performance Management 2.6

Posted Jan 31, 2016 07:21 AM

Hi,

My customer has been using CA Performance Management 2.2 more than 1 and half year, and now requesting to upgrade on latest version 2.6.

Software installed on 4 virtual machines (1 DR, 1 DC, 1 PC and 1 DA) and number of monitored elements approx. 120,000. when we i used new sizing wizard for version 2.6 the following hardware recommended for installation:

1 DC

1 DA

Cluster of 3 virtual machines for DR

1 PC

I have following questions:

- what would be the upgrade path? As per installion guide upgrade path is 2.2 to 2.3.4 to 2.6.

- Do we need to migrate from 2.2 to 2.3.4 and upgrade to 2.6? or can we upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3.4 (means on existing virtual machines but with higher resources), which option is preferable?

- How do we migrate single DR into cluster DR?

Can anyone share the detail process with me?

Many Thanks,

Waqar

• 2.  Re: Migrate CA Performance Mangement 2.2 to CA Performance Management 2.6

Posted Feb 04, 2016 01:30 PM

Although a different version, we just attempted an upgrade from 2.3.3 to 2.6.0.  The Data Repository upgrade failed.  CA support is looking further into the issue for us, but it appears that the Vertica database upgrade may need to be done in multiple steps to get from Vertica 6.0.x to 7.1.  So, although the upgrade path indicated in the CA 2.6 document includes 2.3.3, it very well may be incorrect.  Hopefully the correct procedures will be provided to perform this upgrade.

• 3.  Re: Migrate CA Performance Mangement 2.2 to CA Performance Management 2.6

Posted Feb 05, 2016 02:59 PM

I've been corrected in regards to my posting.  Although HP doesn't support the Vertica upgrade as it's executed when upgrading from 2.3.3 to 2.6.0, CA has determined that it works.  However, for us the failure of the Data Repository upgrade is related to the design of the dr_validate.sh and dr_install.sh scripts. We are hoping for a resolution to the issues affecting our upgrade.

• 4.  Re: Migrate CA Performance Mangement 2.2 to CA Performance Management 2.6

Posted Feb 14, 2016 03:28 AM

Hi Brain,

Have your issue been resolved with upgrade? Or are you still working with CA Support on that issue.

Many Thanks,

Waqar

• 5.  Re: Migrate CA Performance Mangement 2.2 to CA Performance Management 2.6

Posted Feb 16, 2016 02:54 PM

We are unable to upgrade from 2.3.3 to 2.6 due to the Data Repository validate/install scripts requiring password-less ssh.  Security requirements prohibit that configuration for even temporary use.

Brian

• 6.  Re: Migrate CA Performance Mangement 2.2 to CA Performance Management 2.6
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2016 08:31 AM

Here is the upgrade path to 2.7

Upgrade Requirements and Considerations - CA Performance Management - 2.7 - CA Technologies Documentation

Supported Upgrade Paths

We support upgrades from the following releases:

• Release 2.4.1
    • Release 2.5
    • Release 2.6

Here is the upgrade path to 2.6

Upgrade Requirements and Considerations - CA Performance Management - 2.6.0 - CA Technologies Documentation

Supported Upgrade Paths

We support upgrades from the following releases:

• Release 2.3.3
    • Release 2.3.4
    • Release 2.4
    • Release 2.4.1
    • Release 2.5

I would recommend going to 2.7 at this point - which would mean you would need to upgrade to atleast 2.41 as an intermediate step before upgrading

HTH,

Joe

• 7.  Re: Migrate CA Performance Mangement 2.2 to CA Performance Management 2.6

Posted Mar 07, 2016 11:45 AM

We currently have CA Performance Management 2.3.3, but are unable to upgrade under the current conditions.  The issue for our organization is that the HP Vertica database install/upgrade requires password-less ssh with elevated permissions.  This is a security violation in our environment.  When version 2.3.3 was installed, it appears that the person doing that work did so without regard to the regulations.  Furthermore, to even require the password-less ssh for a single instance (non-clustered) of the Vertica database as we have, seems to be a totally unnecessary venture in script writing.

Brian