DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

• 1.  Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted Apr 21, 2016 08:05 AM

I have to manage some NetApp (NetApp Release 8.3.1P2, OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.2.5)

devices with Spectrum.

The result of Try&Error is: I can model it but I can't see interfaces.

Is there anyone with better results?

• 2.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 21, 2016 09:04 AM

I have the same result.

When I browse the ifTables (1.3.6.1.2.1.2. + 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.) for my 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.2.5 models with the MIB Tools, the Results tables remain empty.

It seems that the device doesn't support  required MIB's (per device configuration default?).

As a result my OneClick Interfaces Tab displays "This model has no interfaces".

Regards,

Olaf

• 3.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted Apr 21, 2016 11:28 AM

Right - in order to get interface models, the agent needs to provide interfaces (1.3.6.1.2.1.2) data to Spectrum.

There is a netifTable 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.22.1.2, which appears to link back to ifIndex, but additional functionality would be required for Spectrum to read that table and correlate it back to the ifTable.  You could submit an idea for it.

• 4.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted Apr 25, 2016 06:22 AM

Thank you, Olaf & Scott, both comments were really helpful!

I've downgraded Olaf's answer from "Correct" to "Helpful", hoping this increases the chance to found anyone else, who has tried already something more.

I'm still hoping, there is  a (maybe secret) simple way to "enable more SNMP" on this devices.

Submitting an idea for using the netifTable could be successfully, of course.

But I afraid, it will take a long time to get enough votes for  this very special theme. So, this will be "plan B".

Regards, Frank

• 5.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2016 11:32 AM

Hi Frank,

I did a quick check in Spectrum 10.1.1 and found that the NetApp (Network Appliance) device has not been certified in Spectrum, therefore at best we will only use the basic MIB-2 MIBs that the device supports. Out of the box, Spectrum will not use any of the Vendor specific MIBs. Any functionality that would require the use of Vendor specific MIBs, would require either a Device Certification Request be submitted, which needs to include an sapwalk2 MIB dump of the device, and a copy of the Vendor MIBs; or custom development work done with Model Type Editor (MTE) to create a NetApp model type that uses the vendor MIBs during the discovery and modeling of the device. For more information regarding Model Type Editor, see https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/10-1/en/customizing/model-type-editor. You may also want to review the Self Certification process found at Certification - CA Spectrum - 10.1 and 10.1.1 - CA Technologies Documentation.

If you choose to pursue submitting a Device Certification Request, please open a case with CA Spectrum Support and let us know you would like to have the NetApp device certified in a future release of Spectrum.

Thanks you,

Brad

• 6.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted Apr 27, 2016 04:35 AM

Thank you, Brad.

I know, there is (today) no  chance to see more in Spectrum, until the devices will support e.g. the ifTables.

So, I'm still hoping, someone knows a way to configure the support for e.g. the MIB2 ifTables on these NetApp devices.

A Device Certification Request and/or submitting an idea for using the netifTable are possible next steps.

Regards, Frank

• 7.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted May 04, 2016 05:34 PM

As I said, I'm still hoping, someone knows a way to configure the support for e.g. the MIB2 ifTables on these NetApp devices.

Have set the questions state back to "Not Answered".

Hoping, this makes it easier to find someone.

• 8.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted May 17, 2016 03:07 AM

I'll close this question and do what Scott suggests:  "Submit an idea for it".

Thank you again, Scott and Olaf.

• 9.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted May 19, 2016 03:56 AM

• 10.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted May 20, 2016 03:00 AM

Don't forget to go ahead with the certification request also. It can speed up the process of getting the device certified. Better of, you'll have an official statement from CA about the timeframe for providing this certification.

• 11.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted May 20, 2016 04:57 AM

You're right. The certification request exists. I'll add the number to the idea.

• 12.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted Jun 27, 2016 02:01 AM

I also have NetApp devices that I need to model into Spectrum...

• 13.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted Mar 27, 2017 05:13 AM

I added an idea of adding support for propritary port models independent of NetApp, which could solve this.

Propritary Interface Table Support 

• 14.  Re: Who is managing NetApp (Network Appliance) devices with Spectrum?

Posted Aug 10, 2017 09:41 AM

I opened a certification request (00814158) for one of our customers who has the same requirements for NetApp cluster 

with OID .3.6.1.4.1.789.2.5. that does not support the MIB2 Interface Table.