DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

• 1.  Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Posted Mar 16, 2016 12:24 PM

Hi All,

I`d like to take a hourly backups for models, however, I can`t shutdown SpectroSERVER to run SSdbsave. Someone knows a way to backup models without shutdown SpectroSERVER?

Thanks in advance!

Marcio

• 2.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2016 12:30 PM

Online Backup functionality can be used to do just this. You can trigger Online Backup from the Control Panel or the VNM model "Backup Now" function.   It will pause the SpectroSERVER, flush everything from memory to disk, copy the db files to a temp area, unpause the SpectroSERVER, then do a SSdbsave of the copied db files.

Making a db save every hours is a little extreme though.

--

Rene'

• 3.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Posted Mar 16, 2016 12:48 PM

Hi Rene,

I know how to run OLB. However, on my environment are made a lot of changes in a hour, for this reason I`d like to schedule backup from models with intervals of one or two hours wihout schelduling it into OLB, because while running OLB my SS is getting into FAILOVER.

Tks!

• 4.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Posted Mar 17, 2016 05:52 PM

At face value it seems like  a good thing IMHO that Spectrum utilizes the secondary SS to poll while the primary is being backed up.

It would be interesting to know what problems that behaviour is causing you.

• 5.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Posted Mar 18, 2016 12:58 AM

Its strange, even we are having FT environment and we are taking online backup of ssdb but its not stopping the primary SpectroSERVER only thing what is doing, since in case of FT whenever you take OLB it get sync with secondary spectroserver and stop the secondary spectroserver to upload the ssdb from primary server.

I don't see during OLB of primary the controls are getting shifted to secondary.

• 6.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 09:37 AM

"OLB my SS is getting into FAILOVER."  so while OLB runs on the primary the secondary is taking over?

There shouldn't be time for that to happen, the pausing of the primary shouldn't take more than a minute.

Two things to check;

1- is the secondary running as a hot standby, is the primary taking too long to pause and the secondary thinks it's down and becoming active?

2- you can watch what is happening through the Events and Alarms of the OnlineBackukp model on the primary.

What release of Spectrum are you running on these systems?

• 7.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Posted Mar 18, 2016 11:42 AM

"OLB my SS is getting into FAILOVER."  so while OLB runs on the primary the secondary is taking over?

A: Yes

There shouldn't be time for that to happen, the pausing of the primary shouldn't take more than a minute.

Two things to check;

1- is the secondary running as a hot standby, is the primary taking too long to pause and the secondary thinks it's down and becoming active?

A: Secondary is running as "warm", I'll have to review for how long primary is taking to pause

2- you can watch what is happening through the Events and Alarms of the OnlineBackukp model on the primary.

FailoverEvents.png

What release of Spectrum are you running on these systems?

• 8.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 02:30 PM

What I see in your screen capture are alarms for the secondary, that's the root cause of your problem.

The first is 0x119d3; the disk containing the SpectroSERVER database is 90% full.

The second is 0x10c0e; The primary SpectroSERVER cannot connect to the secondary SpectroSERVER.

If you can fix the disk space problem on the secondary, it should start and allow the primary to connect to it.  Then your OLB should work fine.

• 9.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Posted Mar 16, 2016 01:05 PM

There is no way, other than the online back up, to run a back up of the SpectroSERVER database while the SpectroSERVER process is running.

• 10.  Re: Is it possible do not shutdown SpectroSERVER and run SSdbsave?

Posted Mar 17, 2016 05:28 PM

I guess OLB's running on high Ghz machines (Cpu's with 4+ Ghz clock speed and good motherboard IO) on SSD's might be a solution if you want the backups to be fast and have the least interruption to service.