DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Auto mapping of snap v1 devices without interface.

Posted Apr 06, 2016 05:14 AM

Hi

In our organization we have som security devices that are snmp devices, but they does not have the ifmib implemented, as a result of this the interfaces tab is empty ("this model has no interfaces"), and Ca Spectrum is not able to auto map them to switches or routers.

This results in a lot of work, we have to right click on each device and connect it to the correct interface to get this visualized in the topology.

this also applies to all pingables.

How can I do this automatically, is there a function  in spectrum i have forgot to turn on?

Best Regards

Jon Magnus Dulelrud

Norwegian Defence

• 2.  Re: Auto mapping of snap v1 devices without interface.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2016 08:24 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Jon Magnus,

I don’t believe there is any workaround for this.  Spectrum requires the device to have interfaces (ie support the standard MIB2 interface table) to be able to make connections.  An ER would be needed to change this as it was designed this way.

Cheers!

Jay

• 3.  Re: Auto mapping of snap v1 devices without interface.

Posted Apr 06, 2016 08:29 AM

With pingables it works: if Spectrum can find the mac address, it can make the link with the parent device, as far as I can see on our system.

• 4.  Re: Auto mapping of snap v1 devices without interface.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2016 09:00 PM

For connections to get created on  pingable devices , "ARP Tables for Pingables" should be enabled .This option is enabled by default  ,could you cross check once.

Regards

Jayakrishna.K

• 5.  Re: Auto mapping of snap v1 devices without interface.

Posted Apr 08, 2016 04:05 AM

Hi.

Thank you for the answer.

Yes I have everything checked except the atm protocols.

/jon magnus

• 6.  Re: Auto mapping of snap v1 devices without interface.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 08, 2016 05:46 AM

Could you please enable "Create 802.3 (Fanout)" in Modeling option & check once .

Also what is the Spectro Server version ?

• 7.  Re: Auto mapping of snap v1 devices without interface.
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 15, 2016 03:38 PM

Without iftables from the security devices, the ARP discovery won't be able to find the MAC addresses in the ipNetToMediaTable.  In order for Spectrum to resolve these at all (even with new functionality), there would have to be some MIB on the device that reports the MAC address.