DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Operator values between Spectrum, SystemEDGE, & VAIM.

Posted Jul 11, 2015 05:06 AM

Hi All,

I have configured VAIM with profiles to monitor processes on SystemEDGE agents, for send alarms to Spectrum.

When I set the operator values in VAIM templates (less than, equal to, more than, etc.) and push those templates to the agents, those operator values do not show up correctly in the VAIM Servers "Process Monitors" tab screen.  All the operator values shows up as "equal to" and not as the operator values that I set at.  This is also the same when I view the agents in Spectrum, Information tab.  All the operator values in Spectrum for that particular server shows up as "equal to" rather than the values I set at in the VAIM templates.  BUT, when I check configuration file of SystemEDGE, the correct operators are listed.

How can I ensure that the correct operator values are used when both Spectrum and VAIM are not showing the values that I set at?  And is this all supposed to be correct? 

• 2.  Re: Operator values between Spectrum, SystemEDGE, & VAIM.

Posted Jul 12, 2015 01:53 AM

Hello Teja,

What if you poll the sysedge process monitor mib from Spectrum Mib tools? Does it reflect the right values in the results?

• 3.  Re: Operator values between Spectrum, SystemEDGE, & VAIM.

Posted Jul 14, 2015 12:02 PM

What type of process monitors are you configuring? Could you provide the relevant sections from the sysedge.cf and/or sysedge.mon?

If you are using ProcAlive, then sample type, operator and threshold values are ignored and will be set accordingly based on other provided flags. Comments from the sysedge.cf:

#<stype>is the sampling type (absolute, delta).             (ignored for procAlive; is set to absolute)
    #<oper> is the comparison operator (nop, >, >, >=, >=, =, !=).  (ignored for procAlive; dependent from flags is set to = or !=)
    #<thresh>                                      is the threshold.(ignored for procAlive; dependent from flags is set to 4 or 1)

• 4.  Re: Operator values between Spectrum, SystemEDGE, & VAIM.

Posted Jul 15, 2015 02:27 AM

Hi Sean,

Then, I'm guessing that I should change procAlive to something else?  What should I use instead?

My scenario is that:

No less than three instances of calc.exe needs to be running, if it drops to less than three then an alarm should be generated.

• 5.  Re: Operator values between Spectrum, SystemEDGE, & VAIM.

Posted Jul 14, 2015 10:54 PM

I'm going to attach some screen captures and step-by-step explanations.... hoping it will help clarify my problem.

1)  Starting with VAIM --> Configure --> Policy --> Monitoring Templates --> SystemEDGE --> Unix --> Server Template:

In the Proceess Monitor Details: Edit, I would change the Operator value to "less than", Value to 1.

After which, I would apply the Template to the appropriate server.

2)  In VAIM --> Explore --> Managed --> Server Name, then Configuration tab --> Process Monitors tab:

In the chosen Process Monitors tab, VAIM will show the values.

The shown values shows a different Operator value than what was set in the Template, along with the Threshold value.

3)  In Spectrum, under the server in Information.  The Operator values are also not what is shown in the template.

4) BUT when I view the policy file from VAIM --> Explore --> Managed --> Server Name, right-click Server Name --> Policy --> SystemEDGE --> View Policy Configuration:

In the configuration file it shows the correct set values in the Template.

I'm confused

• 6.  Re: Operator values between Spectrum, SystemEDGE, & VAIM.
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 15, 2015 05:49 PM

Off the top of my head you could use a process group monitor for the process in question, then a self monitor for pgmonNumProcs.

While you're not converting from NSM... There is a good example on Page 54 of the following PDF: NSM Agent Configuration Mappings to SystemEDGE