DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

• 1.  Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Jan 26, 2016 07:50 AM

Is anyone else experiencing lags in Spectrum 10.1?  For example when I right click a device it take approximately 4 or 5 seconds for the pop up window to display.  However, when I right click a Global Collection the pop up is nearly instantaneous.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or is it just us?

• 2.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 26, 2016 11:02 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Skip,

During beta nobody reported this lag and I don’t see one with my 10.1 SS in NY while my client is being launched near Boston.  Do all of your clients have this problem?

Maybe it has something to do with java?  If you try clearing your java cache and removing any old java on the client, does it help?  Or are your java clients geographically far away from the tomcat server?

I’d definitely be interested to know if anyone else is seeing this…

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Jan 26, 2016 01:44 PM

We have 3 One Click servers.  I am on the East Coast and the nearest to me is in Pacific Time Zone.  Right clicking a Global Collection is instant, right clicking multiple devices is instant, right clicking from the Alarm tab is instant.  Right clicking on device in the List tab is slower with times varying from 3 seconds to as many as 6 or 7 seconds.    I tried from two other One Click Servers, one in Europe and another in Australia with similar results.  Other team members are experiencing the same result.

I cleared my java cache including applications, downloaded the App again and get the same results.  My current versions of Java are as follows:

Java 7 Update 55 (64 bit)

Java 7 Update 60

Java 8 Update 31 (64 bit)

Java 8 Update 66 (64 bit)

Should I consider removing Java and starting over?

• 4.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Jan 26, 2016 02:09 PM

OK, I decided to uninstall all instances of Java, reboot and re-install the version of Java from the Spectrum JRE page.  No difference in performance.

• 5.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Jan 26, 2016 03:10 PM

I logged on to the One Click server and performed the same tests.  Right clicking a device on the list tab takes about 1 sec.  It's better but noticeably different than clicking an alarm, global collection or multiple devices on list tab.

• 6.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Jan 26, 2016 03:15 PM

Of the examples you used, I think the "device in the 'List' view" is the first example where a significant number of SNMP queries will be performed to populate the views.  Something to consider.

The Global Collection example wouldn't issue any SNMP queries, and the alarm example I'm pretty certain has either No or very few SNMP queries as well.

• 7.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 26, 2016 04:01 PM
      |   view attached

Actually, that raises a good point.  What if you right click your column headers and select the “Reset” at the bottom…Does the issue still exist?

• 8.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Jan 26, 2016 04:18 PM

I tried that.   I un-selected all of them and only added back 3 or 4 fields.  Same results.

• 9.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2016 05:23 AM

Hi Skip,

I did some tests for this too - and allow me this idea:

- in case the device is "not responding to polls" (I just changed the network address) this would indicate the SNMP-poll (positive or negative / timeout) is not relevant.

it appears to me, it is not relevant - I do not see a response-time difference

- adding "integrations" - like eHealth or "CA PC" (as by the right_clickt the device models context is verified) - having them "alive"/or stopped - may affect the right_click.

it appears to me, it is not relevant - I do not see a response-time difference

So - it remains the context for the "native topology" - and here I expect the number of models in the container (when in the topology view) may affect this. I do not see this at a serious level - but I expect this should be checked.

The other thing is the OC-server performance itself - the indicator for this is "Test_1" when opening in OC-Console / Help / Debug Console -> Console Test "Run Test". have look to Ranking OC-Console/Workstation to OC-Server performance

I feel there is a rendering active when using the Topology View - which then affects the right_click. I.e. having very high number of connection within the Container / or "going out" via OffPageReferences. May you can verify this - and moving the device into a different container which is with less workload - and if this then siginificantly improves the "right_click".

Cheers, Joerg

• 10.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Jan 28, 2016 03:15 PM

Your OneClick servers/client have enough memory? sometimes I've seen in the past that when the client or server doesn't have enough memory to process Java requests, it tends to create a lag for some actions within OneClick. it doesn't hurt to check it out

Configure OneClick Client Memory Settings - CA Spectrum - 9.4.1 to 9.4.3 - CA Technologies Documentation

Configure OneClick Web Server Memory Settings - CA Spectrum - 10.0 - CA Technologies Documentation

cheers,

Ed.

• 11.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Jan 29, 2016 08:30 AM

good info however I'm not sure it will help us.   Here's what I have.

Windows server has 16GB of memory with 11GB available.

One Click Webserver is allocated 768MB and is using 353MB (52%)

One Click Java Memory usage:  Min client memory usage is 1024MB and Max is 2048MB

• 12.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 29, 2016 08:55 AM
      |   view attached

While I don’t think this is the cause, your 10.1 OC tomcat service should be configured for 4GB, not 768M…

One thing that has helped a couple of customers is to edit the $SPECROOT\tomcat\webapps\spectrum\WEB-INF\web.xml and change this to 5000:

/custom area.  Sometimes we’ve seen an old customization that worked in a previous version need an update for the current version.

Cheers

Jay

• 13.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Feb 01, 2016 10:20 AM

Jason,

can you tell me which line to look at in the web.xml file?

• 14.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2016 11:17 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Skip,

My apologies, I don’t know why half of my content gets ripped out of my responses.  Change the “com.aprisma.topo.ModelRepository.ThrottledModelReadCount”  to 5000 and stop/restart tomcat:

Cheers

Jay

• 15.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Feb 04, 2016 12:16 PM

I'm always on the look-out for optimization tips.  Is this something you would recommend applying to all environments, even if ours isn't necessarily feeling the same lag as reported in this thread?

• 16.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Feb 04, 2016 01:59 PM

I've done some more research.  Here's some more information.

Issue:  One Click seems slow for me and my co-workers.  One Click is slow to respond when right clicking devices in the List view.  Also it takes 8-10 minutes for me to open the Event Configurator.

Research: 

• Slow on my workstation, slow on my co-workers work station.  Slow to all other One Click servers in the Enterprise.
    • Fast when running One Click on the One Click server
    • Fast when running One Click server on another computer on the same LAN
    • Slow when running One Click over the WAN
    • One Click server resides in Data Center with redundant 200mb circuits.

I went ahead and opened a ticket with support.

• 17.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Feb 04, 2016 02:40 PM

We have Spectrum 10.0 in production, and the Event Configuration will hang for a period of minutes while retrieving events. If Spectrum 10.1 has the same issue with EC, then it's a defect that hasn't yet been fixed.

• 18.  Re: Lags in Spectrum 10.1?

Posted Nov 09, 2018 02:24 AM

Hello,

I also have the same problem of freeze when I am connected to the Spectrum console (version 10.1).
    Does anyone have a solution to fix this very embarrassing problem?

Christophe H.