DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Why are people marking answers correct for questions they did not ask?

Posted Jul 15, 2015 06:29 PM

I've had a couple of people mark a few of my admittedly stale questions with "Correct Answers".  How do they know what the correct answer is?  Are they doing this just to earn points?  Just because it's the last answer on a stale question does not mean it was the correct answer.  I know I could do a better job of house keeping but this is not a good practice.  It leads to potentially inaccurate posts and is frustrating because the author of the question cannot fix it.

@WILLIAM WOLFORTH    @Kothapalli Kalyan Srinivas

• 2.  Re: Why are people marking answers correct for questions they did not ask?

Posted Jul 16, 2015 12:18 AM

Hello Taylor,

Answers are marked as correct in many cases by the author of that discussion if the provided suggestions help him resolve the issue. Incase you have questions which are not answered and still marked as "Correct Answer" let me know and i will take a look.

On the other hand we also expect customers to respond to the threads in a day when a suggestion is provided so that we can mark the thread as answered or provide few more suggestions and thereby reducing the unnecessary traffic inorder to have more eyes on unanswered questions.

• 3.  Re: Why are people marking answers correct for questions they did not ask?

Posted Jul 16, 2015 06:49 AM

I was the author of at least three questions where the responses provided did not prove to be the correct answer for me however someone came behind me and marked responses as "Correct Answer".  As the author I am not able to correct it.  This potentially provides users with incorrect or inadequate answers which in my opinion is worse than an unanswered question.  Perhaps CA needs to grant the author of a question the ability to remove the designated "Correct Answer" and apply it to the appropriate answer.  In my case I may need to reply with the solution that worked for me.  Not all questions are answered correctly and the last answer is not always the correct one.

• 4.  Re: Why are people marking answers correct for questions they did not ask?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2015 11:17 AM

Hi Skip.

Please let us know any of these discussions were marked as correctly answered and we can fix them. In many cases these were discussions that have not had a response to a proposed answer in months. As Kalyan stated, we are trying to get the unanswered questions answered and if we find aged discussions where an answer is proposed and then no response is returned in a timely manner it will be marked as answered.

Best regards,

Bill

• 5.  Re: Why are people marking answers correct for questions they did not ask?

Posted Jul 16, 2015 12:38 PM

Bill'

I'll pay attention moving forward but perhaps a nudge to the author of the question to mark an answer correct would be beneficial.  No worries on the recent questions marked.

Skip