DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Alert on device model for monitored processes for multiple devices in Spectrum (Attribute Editor?)?

Posted Dec 14, 2015 01:35 PM

I've got some Spectrum monitoring rules configured for monitoring processes.  That part is good.  The challenge is that I find alerting on a "process model" to be really annoying and a stupid default.  I want a process alarm to pop for the device where the process is (or should be) running.  It makes alerting a lot more consistent and reasonable.

My issue is that I'm about to enable a process monitoring rule on a lot of devices.  I know I can set each device to generate alarms on the device model and not the process model, but I need a way to do that in bulk.  Does anyone know of an attribute to control that?  I was going to set it via Attribute Editor, but I'm having trouble finding an attribute that makes sense for it.

• 2.  Re: Alert on device model for monitored processes for multiple devices in Spectrum (Attribute Editor?)?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 14, 2015 04:39 PM

The attribute that controls where the process alarm is asserted is the PMon_SendAlarmsTo attribute id 0xc4112b on the Host Resources application model of type rfc2790App associated with the device model. So, to do this in bulk:

1. Run a Locator search to find all Host Resources application models of type rfc2790App

2. Select all of the models in the Results list

3. Right mouse click on any one and select Utilities -> Attribute Editor from the menu

4. You will need to find and select the PMon_SendAlarmsTo attribute id 0xc4112b under the User Defined section

5. Un-check the No Change check box, set the value to Device and then check the Set As Default check box

6. Click the Apply button

This should set all current process monitors to send the alarm to the Device model as well as all future ones since the default was set to Device.

• 3.  Re: Alert on device model for monitored processes for multiple devices in Spectrum (Attribute Editor?)?

Posted Dec 14, 2015 05:44 PM

Bingo, that's the attribute I was looking for.  And a quick test confirms that it did the trick.

Now that I see it, I think I remember figuring this out a couple of years back when I had a similar situation.  It's just been long enough (and Spectrum makes some things convoluted enough) that I'd forgotten the process.

Thanks for the help and the document reference.  As soon as I can get into the support site again (appears to be broken/down at the moment), I'll review that, too.

• 4.  Re: Alert on device model for monitored processes for multiple devices in Spectrum (Attribute Editor?)?

Posted Dec 14, 2015 04:46 PM

Reference knowledge document TEC568519 "Asserting Process Down alarm on the Host model".