DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to send a Spectrum alarm to Text Message

Posted Mar 31, 2015 02:04 PM

Can someone tell me if there is a way to send an alarm in Spectrum via text message without accessing an SMTP server?  We would like to do this without a messaging server.  If this can be accomplished can you provide the steps?

I created a separate Notifier for SMS but not really sure what to do with it. 

Thanks

• 2.  Re: How to send a Spectrum alarm to Text Message
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 31, 2015 02:11 PM

There are ways to send SMS messages that don't require SMTP.  TextBelt is an example of a free web services texting API.  There are other commercials ones out there as well.  If you have a modem that can send SMS texts, Gnokii might be of use.  So, for the web services based approach, I figure you would need to modify your Notifier scripts to use curl or wget instead of the normal mail command.

Having said that, I don't have any experience or scripts ready to go with these other methods.  Might be something to try out when I find the time or if you have luck, please post since it does come up periodically.

• 3.  Re: How to send a Spectrum alarm to Text Message

Posted Mar 31, 2015 02:18 PM

Thanks Robert,

I'll post anything success stories I have. 

Meanwhile I'll check out TextBelt.  The scripts is where I may need assistance.