DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

• 1.  Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Posted Sep 17, 2015 02:03 PM

I need to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor the C:\ drive for less than 2G of free space. I want this to be a global rule in my environment. Has anyone done this?

• 2.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Posted Sep 18, 2015 08:46 AM

Have you tried going into the system resources of the device and using the monitor file system?

• 3.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Posted Sep 18, 2015 09:17 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have over 9000 devices I need to set this up for so

doing it individually would be very time consuming. I would like to be able

to set up a global rule that would apply to all my devices.

Nancy M. Mathews

Senior Professional System Administrator

CSC

25 Holly Dr.

Newington,CT 06111

GIS | Office:860-665-1713 | 860-621-2849 |

Cell: 203-232-0216 | nmathews@csc.com | www.csc.com

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please

delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in

delivery.

NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to

any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement

or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such

purpose.

• 4.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2015 09:36 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Nancy,

You need to create a disk monitor ruleset available from the Locater->System & Application Montoring->All Monitoring Rules search.  When you run the search, it will return no models found (assuming none have been created).  On the upper right is the “Create Rule Set” button – the icon with the plus sign on the papers.  Click that, give it a name, and then select it and scroll down to the Component Detail.  In there you can then click ADD on the disk monitor and create the threshold (screenshot below).

Cheers

Jay

• 5.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Posted Sep 18, 2015 11:18 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have set up quite a few rulesets for disk

monitoring using the percentage option. The options when you create a

ruleset is percentage by default. I can open the drop-down and choose

GBytes, but I want to know when the device has less than 2G free.  A server

can have terabytes of data and setting the utilization threshold to

something like 98 can still leave a lot of Gb left on the device.

Nancy M. Mathews

Senior Professional System Administrator

CSC

25 Holly Dr.

Newington,CT 06111

GIS | Office:860-665-1713 | 860-621-2849 |

Cell: 203-232-0216 | nmathews@csc.com | www.csc.com

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please

delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in

delivery.

NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to

any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement

or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such

purpose.

• 6.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2015 08:22 AM

Hi Nancy,

I can understand your need…Unfortunately the functionality does not allow for that.  I would suggestion opening an ER on the idea wall.

Cheers

Jay

• 7.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Posted Sep 23, 2015 01:17 PM

Where can I access the idea wall?

• 8.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Posted Sep 24, 2015 07:41 AM

The idea wall can be accessed by logging into CA Infrastructure Management then click on the Actions link and select Create an Idea.

• 9.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2015 09:37 AM
      |   view attached

Also, in case it isn’t known…you then apply that ruleset to a global collection that contains the models you want the ruleset to apply to…

• 10.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2015 10:56 AM

Nancy,

If you use CA-SystemEDGE you should be able to setup this alert.

In case you do,

This is the default entry in the sysedge.cf

monitor devTableEntry 'C:' devCapacity 17 0x0  300 absolute >= 95 'File System Usage (percentage)' '' 'FileSystem' 'C:''PercentUsed' warning

You could simply add a monitor for,

monitor devTableEntry "c:" devFreeSpace 17 0x0 300 absolute <= xxxx 'File system remaining space''FileSystem' 'C:' 'PercentUsed' warning

devFreeSpace mib attribute Free Space - Number of available MB on the file system. Note that this may not include space reserved for the super user.
    Sysedge oid .1.3.6.1.4.1.546.1.1.1.7.1.18

I dont know if this will help. But hopefully it does You can do a monitor on any oid and attribute, and the absolute/delta says to evaluate the actual (absolute) or change (delta) in the attribute for the poll.

Thanks.

• 11.  Re: Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Spectrum to monitor a disk for less than 2G of free space?

Posted Sep 23, 2015 01:32 PM

Most of our devices are windows servers and we just use the snmp service and not the sysedge agent. We have over 9000

devices we need to get this set up for, so a manual one by one  would take too much time to set up.