DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

• 1.  Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 12, 2014 04:07 AM

We are getting a Management agent lost alarm in CA Spectrum frequently for a particular device .The alarms cleared automatically within 3 to 5 minutes.

Please guide us how can we resolve this issue? also share .

Please let me know the reason behind these alarms.

Regards

Amit

• 2.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 12, 2014 10:50 AM

I have the same issue for one (only one) device, which is the PDU. Waiting for a hint ....

• 3.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 15, 2014 02:17 AM

Still waiting for hint from experts can anyone guide me on this?

• 4.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 15, 2014 09:18 AM

Hi all,

in case this is a single device only this may point indeed to a device problem. What you can do - ahead of a sniffer running besides the SpectroSERVER filtered for the device IP - you can verify if that device is maybe busy or stressed.

A device could be stressed by SNMP request - and to verify lower that workload check for:

- attribute "Throttling" / 0x11f79 - Boolean - and set to "yes" (default is "no") - along with

- attribute "Throttle_Count" / 0x11f39 - Integer - and set this to "5" (default is 10)

Once this is done CA Spectrum will throttle the SNMP-requests when send to the device. In addition to this - go to the Device' Component Details Information tab - find Subview "CA Spectrum Modeling Information" and set here DCM Timeout to 5000 msec (default 3000ms).

Now verify if you still see the period Management Agent lost alarms. In case you wont - then reduce DCM timeout back to i.e. 3000 - or 2000 ms. Still having no Management Agent lost then indicates truly this is a device SNMP request stress issue. Smal / SOHO devices may show that symptom - or just overloaded devices. The timeout is related to the "network" between SpectroSERVER and the device - the throttling addresses a SNMP-stress condition. So you have 2 sets of parms (network connectivty and "delay" - and the SNMP related "workload at device level") you can tune.

In case that tuning wont affect the symptom - then we have to look at the sniffer data to see if the device may return a negative response - or just "timeout" ..

Kind regards, Joerg

(It would be good to know which devices this are - that may allow CA to check into the knowledgebase.)

• 5.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 15, 2014 10:44 AM

Thanks for the hints.

I have tried to change the throttle attributes as well as the DCM timeout, but it does not help.

We will do a test with wireshark tomorrow.

This is a Racktivity PDU device under test by us. The first one that we enter in Spectrum.

Cheers, V.

• 6.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 16, 2014 04:28 AM

Hi again,

We have seen with tcpdump that the spectrum server does receive a reply from the device for each poll, but sometimes it still raise an event like:

Sep 16, 2014 9:50:36 CEST0x10d00Device xyz of type GnSNMPDev is no longer responding to primary management requests (e.g. SNMP), but appears to be responsive to other communication protocol (e.g. ICMP).

I will open a ticket with all the details.

Cheers, V.

• 7.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 15, 2014 02:24 AM

Hello Amit,

what's the version of Spectrum?

Were you able to poll the device during these 3 to 5 minutes from Mib tools?

Does wireshark give you the response packets?

Are the device having problem belong to same subnet? Is this happening on specific time?

Are they snmp v 3 devices?

Regards

Kalyan

• 8.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 16, 2014 04:31 AM

Hello Kalyan,

Please find the below detail for your query-

1-Spectrum Version - 9.3.0.1.82

2-Able to Poll successfully the device during the alarm appears in the Spectrum Oneclick console.

3-wireshark is not installed on the machine so it will be installed till EOD.

4-no specific time for the alarms.

5-SNMP v2 device

Regards

Amit

• 9.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 21, 2014 02:36 AM

Hello Kalyan,

Any update on this?

Regards

Amit

• 10.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 22, 2014 10:41 PM

Amit,

What is the model type? It is monitored through system edge or native snmp

• 11.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Sep 24, 2014 01:09 AM

Hi ,

Model Type - Host_systemEDGE

Model Class - Workstation Server

Device Type - systemEDGE Host

Regards

Amit

• 12.  Re: Getting Management agent lost Alarm frequently

Posted Jul 20, 2015 10:56 AM

Amit,

Did you capture the packets using wireshark? Any snmp response drop packets observed? If nothing there, i suggest to log a support ticket at this point of time.