DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to populate Global Collections with the Modeling Gateway

Posted Aug 17, 2014 10:42 PM

I have used the Modeling Gateway for automating the modeling of information in Spectrum.  So, now I would like to update Global Collection membership via the Modeling Gateway; however, I've been having problems getting this to work.  Does anyone have any example of modeling gateway import files where they have been able to add devices to a static global collection?

• 2.  Re: How to populate Global Collections with the Modeling Gateway
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2014 09:36 AM

We do the exact same thing, and here's our template for adding a single model to a static global collection.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>

<!DOCTYPE Import SYSTEM ".modelinggateway.dtd">

<Import>

<!-- **************************** -->

<!-- Template for adding a device to a global collection -->

<!-- %(batch_id)s for locking/unlocking purposes -->

<!-- **************************** -->

<Global_Collection>

<GlobalCollection name="%(GlobalCollection)s" Security_String="ADMIN" >

<Device ip_dnsname="%(IP)s"

model_name="%(DomainName)s"

%(Credentials)s />

</GlobalCollection>

</Global_Collection>

</Import>

• 3.  Re: How to populate Global Collections with the Modeling Gateway

Posted Aug 26, 2014 12:04 PM

I know you specifically asked about Modelling gateway, but this is also possible using REST.

It's a bit more complex, but each server has it's own model for a specific Global Collection, so you have to process these for each primary landscape server in the domain:

1. Find the model handles of the Global Collections (all models with name '<Name of Global Collection>' and Model Type Handle of '0x10474'). You can do this with 1 RESTful query.

2. If they don't exist create them. (Create a model with mth='0x10474' and name '<Name of Global Collection>')

3. Create a relationship between the device you want added and the Global collection (dynamicGlobalCollects) and the Global collection itself.

Note, You might have some landscapes that don't have a global collection defined on it. If none of the devices on that landscape belong to that GC, this would be why!