DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  SPM Custom test script

Posted Sep 30, 2014 11:20 AM

Hi everyone,

I need to create a custom test within the Service Performance Manager module in Spectrum, which as far as I know, needs SystemEDGE to actually execute the script. The thing is, I need to run a query to a remote database and depending on the result, the script would tell SPM to raise an alarm in the SPM test. I think this use case is very common. Does anybody have an example of something like this? What are the requeriments? I though about these ones:

• The server in which the script will be executed needs to have SystemEDGE, AdvancedEncryption and Service Remote Monitoring AIM installed.
    • The same server needs to have the database driver installed in order to be able to get connected to the database remotely

Anything else?

On the other hand, how do I tell Spectrum when a certain result is obtained?

• 2.  Re: SPM Custom test script

Posted Sep 30, 2014 12:27 PM

Does it have to be within SPM, or is your goal just to create an alarm based on a certain script result?

• 3.  Re: SPM Custom test script

Posted Sep 30, 2014 01:46 PM

Hi MichielHelder,

Thanks for your answer. Actually, I've been thinking about this and SPM won't suit my needs, because I need to create an alarm based on a certain result, and not to raise an alarm depending on the time it took for the script to return the result. I think I will have to create the script and when the condition is met, the script would send a trap to Spectrum, then I willl process it there and generate the alarm in the corresponding model.

• 4.  Re: SPM Custom test script
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 30, 2014 01:58 PM

In that case there are several ways to do it. One way is like you suggested to use the script to send a trap to spectrum. In a similar way you could also do it using xml and the southbound gateway. Another option is to insert the script into an SNMP agent on the server and create a new OID for it which you can monitor with Spectrum. It is more work, but it would get you regular active polling instead of the passive waiting for a trap to be received. Which way to go depends on your environment, exact needs and also in part personal preference.

• 5.  Re: SPM Custom test script

Posted Sep 30, 2014 02:14 PM

Yes, you're absolutely right. Those are the ways I had in mind in order to achieve the goal. In this particular case we're going to make the script to send a trap and to process it in Spectrum. It's not that critical to use SBG and there's no real need to poll the result. Recieving a trap is enough.

Thanks for your useful tips!

• 6.  Re: SPM Custom test script

Posted Sep 30, 2014 02:22 PM

Great, sounds like it's resolved then. The trap is the easiest way to go if it's not that critical.

Happy to help.