DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Spectrum + SystemEdge log file monitoring - event discrimination

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 04:46 AM

Hi all,

I seem to be in a dead-end here. The customer would like to monitor Unix/Linux system log files (e.g. /var/log/messages).

I need to set up the Event Variable Discriminator correctly to prevent duplicate alarms, but I came across the following challenge:

1. If Event variable discriminator is monitor index, I won’t get alarms for the same error but different HW part (suppose the regexp is setup to match "I/O error" on drives – If an alarm exists for sda0 no new alarm will be generated for sda1)
    2. If Event variable discriminator is matched text:
      • the /var/log/messages contains a timestamp on every line, so the matched text will never be the same
      • now consider if a HW error repeats every 1 minute – I get every minute a new alarm (because of the different timestamp in matched text/line), until the HW error is resolved (e.g. the supplier has 8hr SLA on HW error fix – that’s a lot of alarms :O )

I was going through the Spectrum Event Configuration User Guide but I didn't find the answer for my following question:

Is it possible to create some kind of event rule which would get rid of the timestamp in "Matched Text" variable?

Many thanks

Mike

• 2.  Re: Spectrum + SystemEdge log file monitoring - event discrimination

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 09:54 AM

You would need to use an event procedure to split the log message event variable into multiple event variables. Then you can have a unique variable to use for an event discriminator.

-Rob

• 3.  Re: Spectrum + SystemEdge log file monitoring - event discrimination

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 09:59 AM

Thanks Rob, that's exactly what I had in mind.

Do you by any chance happen to know how the syntax should look like? As I have very little experience with the event rules syntax I need some help here. I tried looking in the doc named Spectrum Event Configuration User Guide but I didn't find the hint there...

Mike

• 4.  Re: Spectrum + SystemEdge log file monitoring - event discrimination
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 18, 2015 04:22 AM

Hello Mike,

Check this

0xffff0000 E 50 P " \                                                         ->Original Event to pull the info from

CreateEventWithAttributes( \

{ C CURRENT_MODEL }, \

{ H 0xffff0001 }, \                                                          ->New event to be created

SetEventAttribute( \

SetEventAttribute( \

GetEventAttributeList(), \

{ U 2 }, \                                                                       ->Variable to that needs to be split New variable containing the first half of the extracted data

GetRegexp( \

GetEventAttribute( { U 1 } ), \                          ->Variable of the original event that needs to be split

{ S \"(.*)/(.*)\" }, \                                ->Regex expression to search for (you may need to escape the “/”, )

{ U 1 } )), \                                              ->Regexp piece to extract (if you use several “(…)” in your regexp, indicates which one you care about): in your example this would extract “one”

{ U 3 }, \                                                                         ->New variable containing the other half of the extracted data

GetRegexp( \

GetEventAttribute( { U 1 } ), \                          -> Variable of the original event that needs to be split

{ S \"(.*)/(.*)\" }, \                                            ->Regex expression to search for

{ U 2 } )))"                                                         -> Regexp piece to extract (if you use several “(…)” in your regexp, indicates which one you care about): in your example this would extract “two”

HTH

Kalyan

• 5.  Re: Spectrum + SystemEdge log file monitoring - event discrimination

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 20, 2015 08:46 AM

Kalyan,

thank you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for and it seems to work this way!

Mike