Symantec Privileged Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  Role for Password View Approver

Posted Nov 01, 2019 04:43 AM
    CA PAM v3.2.6

So i have a requirements for user who want to access device, they need approval for another user. For that i need the approver be assigned as Password Manager, but with privileges limited to only and only approval. Existing Credential Roles doesn't provide what i need so i have to create custom Credential Role with privileges that only and only allow approval function. What privileges do i need to accomplish this? Thank you.

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Jorghy M.

• 2.  RE: Role for Password View Approver

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2019 12:12 AM
    If you want quick steps to assign a user to password view approver with pre-defined roles, you can do the following.

I have following 3 user accounts.

1. super (Global Administrator)
    2. funnyuser (AD User, for password view approver)
    3. OU1Group1User1 (target account which has dual approval)
    4. pam-ad-svc (AD User, target account, Enterprise Admin)

funnyuser is configured with following role.

"Password Manager" Role

"System Admin Group"

Now this funnyuser will appear in the "Available Approvoers" list in the PVP under Dual Authorization tab.

OU1Group1User1 Target Account has PVP requiring Password Approval.

Password update is performed using pam-ad-svc (AD Account, Enterprise Admin)

PAM User logon and tries to access target device using OU1Group1User1 account which requires approval.

Asked to provide how long the password access is required.

Need to wait approver to approve this access.

Logon as funnyuser and check for "My Password View Approvals" list.
    OU1Group1User1 password request is in "Pending" status.

Approve the password access.

Support Engineer 5
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Role for Password View Approver

Posted Nov 05, 2019 01:33 AM
    You misunderstood, i didn't meant how to create account that can approve password view request. I want the approver to be able to approve password view request only, that means it cannot add/modify/delete/view anything else under "Credentials" tab, especially Target Application and Target Account.

• 4.  RE: Role for Password View Approver

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2019 01:40 AM
    Let's see if other people might have tried to test what would be the very minimum privilege that was possible to assign to an approver.
    From my point of view, each role would have certain required inheritence of privileges.
    You may create a custom role to give the least possible privileges but you will still find that it has other access/privileges.

Support Engineer 5
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Role for Password View Approver

Posted Nov 05, 2019 01:58 AM
    I've tried using FirecallApprover, but it's still able to see password of Target Accounts. The only way is to use custom credential role, but which privileges should be attached to it?

• 6.  RE: Role for Password View Approver

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 06, 2019 10:20 AM
    Hello Jorghy, Privileges are discussed on documentation page https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-privileged-access-management/privileged-access-manager/3-3-1/implementing/protect-privileged-account-credentials/delegate-password-management-tasks-to-groups/add-or-modify-credential-manager-roles.html
    One way to go about custom roles is to copy the privileges from an existing role that is close to what you need to a new custom role, and then add/subtract privileges as needed for your specific use case. E.g. if you don't want your approvers to be able to view passwords, you remove the "View Account Password" (== viewAccountPassword) privilege from the role.

• 7.  RE: Role for Password View Approver
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 06, 2019 11:08 PM
    One way i do it is to use all privileges that have "Password View" in it, which i think is overkill. I guess the only way to use the least privileges is to test each privileges.