Expand all | Collapse all

Uninstall Target Procedure

Marco Antonio Velazquez Aldama

Marco Antonio Velazquez AldamaApr 25, 2018 10:37 AM

• 1.  Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 24, 2018 05:11 PM

Hi,

could you help me with the following problem

I send the package of the ITCM console. And when I view the package status in the target, its ok

the installation process start ok

the installation process ended successfully

after, I removed the software manually

after, I send the software package again, and the installation process start correctly,

but the software is no longer install

I have noticed that when the package is sent again, it is when the problem arises. because the destination team has already saved the Procedure in some way.

Is there any way to delete the cahe from the procedure of the detino team?

Regards,

Marco V.

• 2.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 24, 2018 05:30 PM

Hi Marco,

Let me make sure I understand the problem correctly--

1- You push Office via software delivery, and it installs OK.

2- You manually uninstall Office from Programs and Features, and it uninstalls OK.

3- You push Office again via software delivery, and it does not install.

Is that a correct understanding?

Next question, when you push the package a second time, what does the job container on the Domain Manager say?  Because from an ITCM perspective, the package is still installed.  It's not aware that you have manually uninstalled it.

When you send the package a second time, you may need to open the advanced job container settings and choose this option:

"Remove existing installation records and re-run the selected procedure"

Here's how I got there...

• 3.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 24, 2018 06:12 PM

Hi Brian,

Is correct, and I comment you that I ran the procedure but the result is the same.

The software is not install on the Target.

Too, I tried uninstall the target agent "DSM", and Install again, buen the result is the same 

any other idea?

Regards,

Marco V

• 4.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 25, 2018 05:31 AM

Please provide more details. What is in the install log for example, dose the install say its worked or failed etc.

• 5.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 10:37 AM
      |   view attached

I attach Logs

Attachment(s)

zip
    logsITCA.zip   4.75 MB 1 version

• 6.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 12:28 PM

What you've attached here are logs from your Domain Manager.  I believe what Steve is asking for, is a log from the Office installer.  It would normally leave a log on the agent side, in the temp files.

On the support case you have opened, I'm looking to answer this question--

1- Are we dealing with some failure in software delivery in ITCM, to deliver the package.

2- Are we dealing with some problem with your software package, where Office fails to reinstall.

This is more likely a problem with your office package, than it is with software delivery, as you mention the same package was able to install Office correctly on the first run.  It's only after you uninstalled office, that the package no longer works to reinstall it.

Thus we are curious to see the Office installer log (not ITCM logs), from the subsequent runs of the software package.  As perhaps this will give us a clue to why the package is not reinstalling as expected.

• 7.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 01:29 PM

I attach the dsm and target logs, too attach the how created my software package

Regards,

Marco V

Attachment(s)

zip
    logsPackage.zip   20.09 MB 1 version
    docx
    Office Package.docx   2.92 MB 1 version
    zip
    logs_target.zip   3.27 MB 1 version

• 8.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 02:11 PM

From the SD Agent log perspective:

First execution
    240418-17:04:07.9048231L|003228|0000062c|SDAgent | |sdjecontainerif.cpp |001226|NOTIFY | Running SD job 1: Office x86 V2 setup32 2016

240418-17:04:44.8505432L|003228|0000062c|SDAgent | |sdjecontainerif.cpp |001402|NOTIFY | SDjob 1 returns: 0 ExitCode: 0

Second execution
    240418-17:35:53.2006301L|001776|000007d0|SDAgent | |sdjecontainerif.cpp |001226|NOTIFY | Running SD job 1: Office Home x86 setup32 2016

240418-17:36:28.1772554L|001776|000007d0|SDAgent | |sdjecontainerif.cpp |001402|NOTIFY | SDjob 1 returns: 0 ExitCode: 0

Third execution
    240418-17:48:46.1552587L|002200|00000230|SDAgent | |sdjecontainerif.cpp |001226|NOTIFY | Running SD job 1: Office Home x86 setup32 2016

240418-17:48:58.7411357L|002200|00000230|SDAgent | |sdjecontainerif.cpp |001402|NOTIFY | SDjob 1 returns: 0 ExitCode: 0

Fourth execution
    250418-11:54:19.9670203L|002784|00000c70|SDAgent | |sdjecontainerif.cpp |001226|NOTIFY | Running SD job 1: Office Home x86 setup32 2016

250418-11:55:01.1621340L|002784|00000c70|SDAgent | |sdjecontainerif.cpp |001402|NOTIFY | SDjob 1 returns: 0 ExitCode: 0 

Thus from the SD Agent log perspective, we can tell ITCM is delivering the package and running "setup.exe /s", as you have specified.  We can see the package is returning exit code 0, in under a minute in all instances.

What happens if you manually copy the package to the test agent, open a command prompt, and run "setup.exe /s" ?

Does the installer provide any visual feedback as to why it's not installing office?

Does it leave a log file in the temporary files?

From an ITCM perspective, the agent is delivering and executing the package fine, just the package is not resulting in the desired outcome of Office getting installed...

• 9.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 02:17 PM

To add to Brian’s analysis, this indicates that the problem belongs to the installer (the product’s setup.exe), not with Client Auto. As Brian suggested, look for log files which may indicate the cause of  the problem, and try running the install manually using the same syntax as used in the SD procedure.

If running the installer manually results in the same problem, please contact the vendor of the package you are trying to install for assistance. Otherwise we will need to see the installer’s log files to help you determine the cause.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Principal Services Consultant

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

<mailto:Stephen.McCormick@ca.com>

• 10.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 03:28 PM
      |   view attached

I copied the software to target, and I ran the the following command
    setup.exe /s

the software did not show me any messages... and the software was installed correctly.

any other idea about the installation package?
    I attached the screens of how I created my software package, any idea of whether it is necessary to add or change any value?

Attachment(s)

docx
    Office Package.docx   2.92 MB 1 version

• 11.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 05:37 PM

Please obtain the logs from the SD install. There will be some files in the SYSTEM temp folder (probably c:\temp or c:\windows\temp) named ‘Microsoft Office Setup(####)*’).  Attach those files to the community post and we’ll take a look.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Principal Services Consultant

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

<mailto:Stephen.McCormick@ca.com>

• 12.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 05:40 PM

I would recommend clearing the c:\temp and c:\windows\temp folders first.  Then reproduce the failed installation via pushing the ITCM package.  Then upload a copy of the Microsoft Office Setup log as Steve suggests.  We don't want to get confused by having to decipher which setup log belongs to which attempt.  Thanks.

• 13.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 06:28 PM

I tell you the following:
    I have eliminated everything related to the office installation of the target computer. with the help of the following document.

Cómo borrar cualquier rastro en el registro de Windows de un programa desinstalado 

I deleted temporal files and regedit records

but when I try to send the package again, it only performs the first steps, and does not install anything.

I have noticed the process only reaches the step of executing the procedure.

Any other idea of how to replace or delete the existing procedure?

by the way, in the  c:\temp and c:\windows\temp folders, there is nothing related to Office.

Regards,

Marco V

• 14.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 25, 2018 07:00 PM

I comment you that I also tried to create a new version of the package, and remove the equipment from the Installation folder in the software package.

But it does not worked.

• 15.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 25, 2018 07:07 PM

Copy the package manually to the system.  Create a windows scheduler job to execute it.  When installing manually as a user it has a user context.  If you do it with windows scheduler it is doing it as local system same as how the agent does it.  The other option to test is configure the sdagent to run as a specific user.  Using the caf setcredential command.  This way it is installing as the user spepecified.  That will tell you if the package needs to be installed as a user

Richard Lechner

Principal Engineering Services Architect

CA Technologies

Mobile: +1 703 655 7161 | Richard.Lechner@ca.com

<mailto:Richard.Lechner@ca.com>[CA]<http://www.ca.com/us/default.aspx>[Twitter]<http://twitter.com/CAInc>[Slideshare]<http://www.slideshare.net/cainc>[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/CATechnologies>[YouTube]<http://www.youtube.com/user/catechnologies>[LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/1372?goback=.cps_1244823420724_1>[Google]<https://plus.google.com/CATechnologies>[Google+]<http://www.ca.com/us/rss.aspx?intcmp=footernav>

• 16.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:23 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Richard

I did the following test, I attach screens. but the problem persist.

If this is not the process you are referring to, you could help me by attaching the steps. Thank you.

Regards,

Marco V

Attachment(s)

docx
    Software Package.docx   544 KB 1 version

• 17.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 05:10 AM

Are you installing office 2016 or office 365?

• 18.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:10 AM

I trying to install Office home 2016

• 19.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 09:52 AM
      |   view attached

The flag “/s” is not valid for the office install and is ignored by the setup program.

You should be running “setup.exe /configure configuration.xml”

Where the XML file looks something like this depending on your exact requirements:

• 20.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:07 AM

Following Steve's update, I've taken a few screenshots of one of CA's Office 2016 packages:

Install procedure:

Volume of files:

Contents of configuration.xml file:

• 21.  Re: Uninstall Target Procedure

Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:15 AM

Looks like you can download the tool to generate the configure.xml file here:

Overview of the Office Deployment Tool | Microsoft Docs 

If anyone from the community has some fast tips for using or building the configure.xml file, please share...