CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Reinstallation of operating system of several computers through DSM

Posted Nov 09, 2018 11:47 AM

Hi everyone, good afternoon.

Greetings from Colombia.

A few moments ago we had a meeting with a client in the city of Bogotá.

The core of their business is the rental of hardware equipment (computers), for this case they want to know if it is possible to use the tools of CA Client Automation to reinstall the operating system on computers that are going to be rented (borrowed) after its configuration. For this we request to know how it is possible to carry out this procedure, if it is possible to carry out the reinstallation of an operating system in the computers that will be borrowed, and without being necessary the agent, since it is not required to obtain information of the inventory of each equipment for the reason that these will be sent to their customers.

The purpose lies in the automation of processes, for this reason we request to know very cordially how through CA Client Automation we can perform Back Up processes of the information of each station and the respective reinstallation of the operating system in each one of them.

I would like to know where I can find the documentation and the process that must be carried out, this in order to give a response to the client in the next meeting.

Thanks for your possible comments.

Best regards.

• 2.  Re:  Reinstallation of operating system of several computers through DSM

Posted Nov 09, 2018 12:05 PM

See this DocOps page about OS Installation Management (OSIM). You can

easily deliver a replacement OS Image to an existing computer. An Agent is

not necessary. By default OSIM will install a Software Delivery Agent on

the system after it installs the OS Image. You can prevent this from

happening, but having the Agent in place makes delivery of the image very

slightly easier the next time.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-client-automation/14-0/en/using/os-installation-management

Steve McCormick

smccormick@aspiretp.com

731-676-4223

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:47 AM CarlosMora11 <

• 3.  Re:  Reinstallation of operating system of several computers through DSM

Posted Nov 09, 2018 02:52 PM

Thank you very much for your comments Steve.

I will read them for more information. Is it enough with a single scalability server to perform the process ?, that is, how much is the limit of computers to perform the software reinstallation?

• 4.  Re:  Reinstallation of operating system of several computers through DSM
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 12, 2018 10:44 AM

Hi Carlos,

Here's what you should know regarding Scalability Servers and OS Imaging:

• The computer being imaged and its scalability server should be on the same network (LAN).
    • If they are not on the same VLAN, IP Helpers will be needed to forward the PXE network packets. The PXE protocol used for imaging utilizes broadcast network packets, which will need to be forwarded to the Scalability Server if they are not on the same VLAN.
    • The entire content of the OS Image is transferred from the SS to the target system each time a machine is imaged, so the machine should be close to its SS to avoid flooding the network.
    • A Scalability Server can support about 1000 machines, at the absolute most 1500, but you should limit the number of simultaneous Imaging jobs to avoid flooding the network. The actual number of active imaging jobs which can be supported will depend on your network.

Steve

• 5.  Re:  Reinstallation of operating system of several computers through DSM

Posted Nov 13, 2018 10:10 AM
    Hi Steve  I appreciate your answers very much, with this I will meet with the new client to let him know what we have talked about in this post, in case of any doubt or novelty I will tell you in this way.   Thank you for your time and for your answers, greetings from Bogotá, Colombia.