CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Machine Clone in Hyper-v  - new vm is identified like original vm

Posted Oct 26, 2015 02:12 PM

Hi,

I did a Virtual Machine (VM) clone and I'm using this clone to have others new VMs.

In original clone I didn't have dsm agent installed. I'm installing dsm agent just on new VMs clones.

I have run sysprep, before installing dsm agent.

My problem is in DSM explorer, when I'm looking for new machine, It has been changed to original clone (hostname).

Are there any tasks to do after (or before) instal dsm agent on vm clone?

Regards,

Nelson

• 2.  Re: Virtual Machine Clone in Hyper-v  - new vm is identified like original vm
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2015 02:18 PM

If the original clone DID have an Agent installed but then UNinstalled, the registry entries that the agent uses to determine if it is a new asset or not would have been in place as they are not removed by an uninstall. Make sure before you create clones to delete the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ComputerAssociates\HostUUID (on a 64-bit machine) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ComputerAssociates\HostUUID (on a 32-bit machine).

For machines which already have this problem you can delete the key and restart the agent, they will re-register as new machines.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Principal Services Consultant

Tel: +1-731-676-4223

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

<mailto:Stephen.McCormick@ca.com>

• 3.  Re: Virtual Machine Clone in Hyper-v  - new vm is identified like original vm

Posted Oct 26, 2015 05:00 PM

Hi Stephen,

That was exactly what happened. I believe that original clone had a dsm agent installed and then uninstalled.

I have deleted the registry key on the new machines and now it is working!! I have to restart the new machines.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,

Nelson