CA Client Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

TECH TIP : Automating software package delivery in the OSIM process

• 1.  TECH TIP : Automating software package delivery in the OSIM process

Posted 11-14-2016 12:22 PM

Hi all,

I have just published TEC1951225 which I hope all you OSIM users will find usefull.

Introduction:

Operating System Installation Management (OSIM) is a very powerful tool for the automation of installing or reinstalling the OS of a PC.

However this is only half the story. Once the PC is built there is often the requirement to deploy a standard set of applications. The applications required may also differ depending on the business function of the PC.

Whilst standard Software Policies can be used for this, the time it takes to deploy the packages is often longer than desired delaying the overall build process.

This document will describe a method to automate this in a much more timely fashion thus speeding up the overall time to build the PC. We will use the user defined fields of the agent to set a flag denoting that the PC is rebuilt and also which set of applications the PC should receive.

• 2.  Re: Automating software package delivery in the OSIM process

Posted 11-18-2016 10:11 AM

has anyone given this a try? have any suggestions?

• 3.  Re: TECH TIP : Automating software package delivery in the OSIM process

Posted 11-21-2016 06:53 AM

Hi

I have build up something similar.

Instead of UserInfo and xml file, I added some boot paramenters (in default.ini) where you have the choices to about the purpose of the computer, antivirus type, patches and alternative drivers folder.

The computer is added to the appropriate groups, and the software policies are submitted accordingly.

Leandro

• 4.  Re: TECH TIP : Automating software package delivery in the OSIM process

Posted 11-21-2016 12:17 PM

Interesting..How have you enabled the parameters to determine the computer groups?

• 5.  Re: TECH TIP : Automating software package delivery in the OSIM process

Posted 11-22-2016 01:11 AM

There are two types of computer groups and their queries.

One type is related to the settings of the OSIM parameters. "OSIM Computers" queries fill these groups.

The second type is for the software policies, and the groups are filled by membership of one or more "osim" group.

Example:

In OSIM you have a 64bit Win7 image, and you can choose if the computer is "office" or "production". Let's take "production" in this case.

The software policies send the specific software packages for Win7 64bit and production area.

We could setup a WebEx in case you want more details...

Leandro