CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  License approval for an application

Posted Aug 17, 2016 07:37 AM

Hi,

I want to know is there any way to prevent the software deployment job or software installation if approved licenses exceeds.

Suppose, I have a MS Office application setup and I have create an exe package for it. I have 5 licenses and I set 5, under "Approved licenses" tab. Now if I'm trying to install this application on 6th system by using the same package from ITCM it will be stopped. I just want to know how can I use ITCM(Version12.9) DSM explorer to prevent over deployment of any licensed application.

Regards,

Paul

• 2.  Re: License approval for an application

Posted Aug 17, 2016 02:38 PM

Hi Paul,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no method to link the number of Approved Licenses for a specified detected software installation to a software package prerequisite. Even if it could, it could be easily defeated by simply creating another package without that restriction. A software package is simply an automated deployment mechanism to deliver "something". While you can set conditions (via procedure prerequisites) for allowing the deployment, the decision to allocate a license should already have been decided prior to and external to ITCM. Even licenses that are installed-based can have nuances associated with them that could put you in or out of compliance. Many licenses allow for dual-use (desktop and laptop for same user)

or backward version compatibility.

If you wanted to prevent package deployment based on licensing, you could potentially create a Computer Group whose members were licensed for a specific software package and only popluate that group when informed that a license

had been allocated to it. Then the package procedure prerequsiite would be membership in that group. Anytime anyone tried to deploy the package to a computer not in the group, ITCM would not allow it. Again, this is mostly procedural, it could also be defeated by nefarious parties.

If others have a better solution, I am eager to hear them.

Thanks,

Mike

• 3.  Re: License approval for an application
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:23 AM

Hi Paul

I agree with Mike on this. You can use software usage metering to prevent the app from executing if the number of licenses are exceeded https://docops.ca.com/ca-client-automation/14-0/en/administrating/asset-management-administration/configuring-asset-management/collect-tasks-in-asset-management/software-usage

There is no in built feature in client automation to prevent deployment based on licenses. Another approach to Mikes is to use the software catalog. rather than pushing the apps from DM simply create a catalog group for each app and add the computer or user (if using user profiles) when you decide the user is licensed.

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec424335.aspx  describes a similar implementation using AD groups to control the apps is the software catalog.

regards

Rich