CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Detecting Windows 10 OS

Posted Aug 17, 2015 07:21 AM

Hi,

Is there a fix or workaround so Windows 10 PCs are correctly detected when they run a 12.8 FP1 agent?

We are running a 12.8 FP1 environment, where agents from multiple customers connect to the infrastructure. Given that we can't control what is done on customers PCs, migration to Windows 10 can be done without us knowing.

We have done some tests, and we see that Windows 10 is detected as Windows 8, so we totally lose the ability to know what operating system is really installed. This can lead into operational problems (e.g. software incorrectly targeted).

Regards.

Sergio

• 2.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS

Posted Aug 17, 2015 08:34 AM

Hi Sergio,

Please provide us the screenshot of the software discovery results and export registry section of 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE' .

Regards,

Tirupathi Raju.

• 3.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS

Posted Aug 17, 2015 08:37 AM

Hello,

At the current time Windows 10 is not certified/supported, so the machine will be seen as

unclassified, although the agent may install and function.

We have no ETA at this moment on certification for Windows 10

• 4.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS

Posted Aug 17, 2015 08:43 AM

Hi Matthew,

I'm not asking for Windows 10 certification ETA, as I understand that it takes its time.

What I'm asking for is a workaround so we don't misidentify Windows 10 PCs as Windows 8. It would be better to have them showing as OS=Unknown than having them showing as an incorrect OS version.

Regards.

• 5.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 17, 2015 08:44 AM

Hi Sergio

It is currently planned to certify windows 10 in the next major release which is currently planned to release in q1 of calendar year 2016.

I have discussed this with product management and they are currently assessing if we can deliver some functionality (AM and SD) as a fix.

If it is deemed feasible then this will be announced via the usual channels.

Can I suggest you raise an idea on the community so you can communicate to Product Management your business need and it will also allow other users to vote on this as well.

In addition you could review http://blogs.technet.com/b/charlesa_us/archive/2015/06/25/how-to-remove-block-and-prevent-quot-get-windows-10-quot-application-for-corporate-environments.aspx which discusses how to prevent the windows 10 upgrade in the corporate environment.

regards

Rich

• 6.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS

Posted Aug 17, 2015 08:53 AM

Hi Richard,

We use Client Auto as a service provider, so we are not responsible for our customer's policies. We cannot control whether our customers migrate or not to Windows 10.

As Windows 10 can be installed as an update, and ITCM agent works after migration, we won't be able to detect if a remote PC is a real Windows 8 or a Windows 10 migrated PC.

Regards.

• 7.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 17, 2015 08:58 AM

Hi Sergio

I do understand the problem this will cause you. I have asked Product Management to review this post but please do also raise this on the idea wall as well

regards

Rich

• 8.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS

Posted Aug 17, 2015 09:15 AM

• 9.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 18, 2015 02:32 AM

Hello,

We are currently working to provide Windows 10 agent certification (and possibly OSIM) before the Mercury release. I will keep the community posted once we have the committed dates.

Regards,

Abhijit

Product Manager - Client Automation

• 10.  Re: Detecting Windows 10 OS

Posted Sep 08, 2015 01:43 AM

We should have the Windows 10 support fix rolled out in later half of September . This fix will be certified to support agent, SS and OSIM.

Regards,

Abhijit

Client Automation Product Management