Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Migration V10 to V12

Posted Jun 25, 2020 11:04 AM
    Hi,

We have Automation Workload V10 (10.0.2) and we want to move to V12.
    I want to know if I can migrate from V10 to V12 directly?

Also, we have a server with 3 agents.
    I want to know if I have to migrate all the components at the same time or if I can
    migrate the server first and the agents one at the time.

Thanks
    Yves Lavoie

• 2.  RE: Migration V10 to V12

Posted Jun 25, 2020 11:40 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Jun 25, 2020 12:17 PM
    Hi.

You can go from 10.x to 12.x directly, in the sense that you don't need to boot up the system with any version in between (such as 11.2). BUT it will still apply the database updates needed for the intermediate versions. I suggest you start by updating to the latest 10.0.x (I believe that was 10.0.8). I don't know though if it can still be downloaded :( - if not, maybe contact the key account manager.

After that, just follow this:

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/german/ALL/components/DOCU/12.0/AWA%20Guides/Content/AWA/Installation/install_upgrade_v10.htm

If you're using the ucybdbld utility to apply the SQL files to your Automic database, as Automic intends, it can't really go horribly wrong because it checks the version first before it applies any patches, afaik. Regardless, do back up your database beforehand and know how to roll back, as is always good practice.

You may see loads of SQL errors from ucybdbld going from 10.x to 12.x - we certainly did, but it worked afterwards nonetheless. But in addition, there may be other quirks you run into. Your engine may take several hours to start the first time on 12.x (it did for us), and I remember that we had to delete old, stale entries from the database after we went from 10 to 12, or the engine would not start at all. It's many years in the past and I can't recall all the details, sorry. Much has been written about it at the time in this forum (or its predecessor), some may still be found.

I guess what I'm saying is: there may be small quirks to be worked out, so definetly try the update on your test system first, see what you run into, if any, and only then update the production system.

As for your second question, the official answer is: you'd need to upgrade them at the same time. Automic has said different things at different times, but the most often heard statement is that they're downwards compatible over the last two major versions. That does probably not count in 10.x (surprise - Automic most of the time thinks of 11.2 as a major version, and sometimes 12.1 and 12.2 as well; yes, I know it's quaint).

But from my own experience, agents in version 10 may have small quirks with V12 but they still used to work mostly. That is based on experience with agents in V10 with engine in 12.2 at most though; maybe it's not the case in 12.3. Again, I recommend testing this first with your test system.

Hth,

------------------------------
    # signature.sh --verbose=[true|false]
    # no configurables beyond this point, only signature

Using the slide show widget for posting individual images is wrong. Please use the "insert image" button in the editor.

Did you know? I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

"Efficient Solutions Monthly Magazine" says: These contain very good advise on asking good questions. No, you do not need StackExchange for Automic, but asking questions the right way never hurts:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Migration V10 to V12

Posted Jun 25, 2020 11:50 AM
    > delete old, stale entries from the database after we went from 10 to 12, or the engine would
    > not start at all. It's many years in the past and I can't recall all the details, sorry

I've looked this up in an old document. If I'm not mistaken based on my old notes, we had to delete old version 10 CP and WP entries using the Java interface, they could not be deleted using AWI, the new web interface.

I honestly don't know if you will hit the same issue, or if Automic ever fixed this at the core, or if it still exists, how one would go about this now: I don't know if the Java interface can still connect once you are on the latest 12.3; you'd need to test this on your test system and if it's a showstopper, worst case, go to 12.1 with your DB and engine processes first, fire up the Java client, fix these entries, and then go forward from there.

Truth is, I don't know of anyone who went from 10.0.8. to 12.3; we went from 10.0.8 to 12.1 some years ago.

If in doubt, there's always consultancy also.

Best regards.

• 4.  RE: Migration V10 to V12

Posted Jun 25, 2020 11:59 AM
    Hi Yves,

you can upgrade directly to v12. Furthermore you have to upgrade AE and the Agents at the same time or at the latest before you start AE, because the combination "AE v12 and Agent v10" was never tested and is therefore not supported (this is the official statement, I'm not talking about the technical possibility).

And before you perform the upgrade you should check all incompatibilies.or have a consultant doing it.

regards,
    Peter

• 5.  RE: Migration V10 to V12
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 26, 2020 09:01 AM
    They do have a document about going from v10 to v12.3.

Upgrading an AE System from Version 10 to Version 12.3