Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Password Encryption Question

• 1.  Password Encryption Question

Posted Nov 27, 2019 04:13 PM
    Running AE 12.3

I'm finally getting around to encrypting my plain text passwords in my UCSrv.ini ODBC connection settings.

I ran the following found in documentation... 
    UCYBCRYP[.EXE] -p -n Password
    Note: The password length is limited to 32 characters.

This generated the password.ucc file with this value нн10E9734BDAD2EC91FF6132D7F8D6E0596C.

I replaced the pw with --нн10E9734BDAD2EC91FF6132D7F8D6E0596C

When I restarted, I locked myself out of the database due to bad password, so I looked closer and see the value is 36 characters including the нн.

Looking at the sample in UCSrv (PWD=­­--10BFDC349F38156A22) there is no нн so I tried again removing нн.  That left me at 34 characters and still locked me out.

What am I missing and how do I get to the 32 character limit?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Developer
    State of Colorado

• 2.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Nov 28, 2019 02:26 AM

Hi Tim,

as far as I know the note "The password length is limited to 32 characters." refers to your plain password and not the encrypted result.

We also had problems with the leading two minus signs in the encrypted passwords before. You can test once to remove the minus signs and enter them again "manually". This has helped us a few times in the past.

Kind regards,
    Tim

Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---
    Mitglied des deutschsprachigen Automic-Anwendervereins FOKUS e.V.
    Member of the German speaking Automic user association FOKUS e.V.

• 3.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Nov 28, 2019 03:47 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Nov 28, 2019 03:48 AM
    Hi Tim (edit: Osgood, not Quakulinsky ... man, this gets confusing :)

I remember a few years ago in Automic training that the trainer also told us to remove the minus signs and type them again. He didn't know why but he repeated it like a mantra to every student.

I looked at it at the time and it's an encoding problem. Automic just doesn't get the encoding right. What you saw as "нн" is likely the equivalent of the two malformed "--" other people see, depending on the environment. Tim is correct, I think I remember removing and re-adding the "--" did the trick, or in your case probably replacing th the "нн" by plainly typed "--".

Hth,

I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.

• 4.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Dec 03, 2019 10:25 AM
    Thanks Carsten.  That worked but it didn't.  When I removed the HH and replaced them with dashes in the UCSrv.ini it still fails to connect.  However, when I add the encrypted password to the ucybdbld.ini and run my migration process, that connects without issue.

Not sure why it works in one process but not the other.  This may be a question for Broadcom support.

Developer
    State of Colorado

• 5.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Dec 03, 2019 10:40 AM
    Hey Tim,

Thanks for the feedback!

Best regards,
    Carsten

• 6.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Nov 29, 2019 10:01 AM
    -HH is a function of the codeset your editor runs with.  -- is the standard common characters for that field.  There is another one that I do not remember.  Try replacing each h with a -

Scott Hughes
    Senior Automation Engineer
    Verizon
    Albuquerque, NM

• 7.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Nov 29, 2019 10:40 AM
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm shadow-banned.​

• 8.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Dec 02, 2019 12:49 AM
    I also can't see what new information Scott provided with his contribution...

Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---
    Mitglied des deutschsprachigen Automic-Anwendervereins FOKUS e.V.
    Member of the German speaking Automic user association FOKUS e.V.

• 9.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Dec 02, 2019 04:00 AM
    Huzzah, I'm not shadow-banned (yet)!

:)​

• 10.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Dec 02, 2019 09:56 AM
    I also can't see what new information Scott provided with his contribution...

Neither of your comments were visible when I posted.  Sorry that I bothered you with helpful information.

Scott Hughes
    Senior Automation Engineer
    Verizon
    Albuquerque, NM

• 11.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Dec 03, 2019 02:13 PM
    Two things to remember :

- Encryption is generated on a Windows system usually so character set is a Windows one ....

- Transfer to another systeme (Linux / Unix) can be done with options (binary, text, ...) and default option is not always the best choice, so the result may not be the one expected

- Some transfer tools are doing a character conversion, some others not, and you can get a different result with the same tool based on the settings and target system or userid that is used for the transfer ...

Conclusion :

Doing a copy/paste is usually the simplest way to set an encrypted password in one of the ini files if you use putty i.e.

Option :

Ask Broadcom for a Linux/Unix version of the encryption program ucybcryp to avoid all this discussion and support calls

Alain

• 12.  RE: Password Encryption Question
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 04, 2019 08:49 AM
    Hi all,

I had the same issues.
    I just recommend to use the good old "notepad.exe" to open the Password.ucc file. Then you can copy/paste the encrypted password.

With Notepad++ this doesn't work!

• 13.  RE: Password Encryption Question

Posted Dec 05, 2019 03:23 PM
    Thanks Stephan.  That is the answer.  When I opened my UCSrv.ini file in Notepad I could see there were two leading characters --A`A` in front of the number string.  I do not see them in Notepad++.  I opened my pasword file in Notepad, copied it to UCSrv.ini, restarted and everything connected.

Developer
    State of Colorado