Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Notify if job didn't started at specific time

• 1.  Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 22 days ago
    HI team,

We need help on a  common scenario which many of you already resolved -
    Problem statement - We have JOB A and JOB B in a WORKFLOW, where JOB B runs at everyday 10:00 AM, we want to send a notification if JOB B didn't start executing at 10:00 AM, similar notification we want to  implement at WORKFLOW level as well.

Solution we have tried - on time and dependency we have added time dependency as 10:00 AM and also at precondition we have added "if time is before 10:00 AM execute Task else notification object and execute task"

Observations -  we are getting delay notification only when JOB B is getting active, but we want notification to be sent out as soon as time goes past 10:00 AM even though JOB B is in waiting for predecessor state.

Similarly for workflow , we have created a JOB schedule and added daily applications but due to some activity if we hold/Suspend the application then also we want to create a notification that workflow didn't starts on a specific day.

Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Amey Deshpande

• 2.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago

So you have this WORKFLOW;

START -> JOBA -> JOBB

I would try adding a JOBC that also runs immediately after START, but give it an earliest start time of 10:01, and give it a precondition rule that checks to see if JOBA has finished or not.

------------------------------
    Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi Pete,

We have a Daily workflow consisting of 150 jobs and out of that few jobs which are having multiple dependencies along with time checks. 

so having such JOB C will make it more complicated  .

Regards,
    Amey Deshpande

• 4.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi Amey,

you could use the new SLO (Service Level Objective) feature if you're on version 12, but it is quite limited in it's functionality. However, it may be enouph in your case. Here is an example configuration from the Automic help link:

My personal prefered solution is to write a sql statement that checks in the database (ah table) if the job was started an pass its result to a monitoring system like Nagios, Icinga or what ever you're using.

Regards, Matthias

• 5.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi Matthias, 

SLO objects can be useful in Workflow management, but what about the JOBS which are under the workflow and not started but passed the time limit.

Regards,
    Amey Deshpande

• 6.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi,

SLO works for any kind of Automic object regardless if it's a workflow or a jobs. You can check for the latest start and end time and you can specify a call object or a Job that will e.g. send you an e-mail if the job didn't start in time.

Regards, Matthias

• 7.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi Matthias, 

I have one more thing to check, can we add Alias name in SLO to monitor JOBS or JOBP.

Regards,
    Amey Deshpande

• 8.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi,

hm, good question. Haven't tried that. Honestly I'm not using the alias feature in our environment. So best thing would be if you tests that on your own.

Regards, Matthias

• 9.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    Have you successfully gotten an SLO to work? As time allows, I've been trying to test one but I just can't get it operable.

• 10.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi Michele,

Yes, it's not much. I have exactly 1 SLO running. But before we continue let me suggest to open a new thread or send me a pm.

Regards, Matthias

• 11.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 21 days ago
    For this scenario, the Time Checkpoint on the properties/Time and Dependencies tab is what you need to use.  If JOB B doesn't start at 10am, a notification can be sent at 10am if it isn't active.

• 12.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 20 days ago
    Hi Jared,

It worked...!!! Thank you

Is there anyway we can alert on workflow as well if it didn't starts on a specific time.

Regards,
    Amey Deshpande

• 13.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time

Posted 20 days ago
    What scenario are you concerned about?  I'm thinking that if the workflow is triggered in by a schedule object it will start at the expected time unless it faults due to some problem with the set up.

For a fault in a schedule, you could look at using the result tab on the properties of the workflow within the schedule object.

Using the ANY_EXCEPT_FAULT for the OK Status else alert should capture faults if you only want to be alerted to faults and not workflow cancellations.

If you are concerned about a schedule being stopped/quit accidentally, I put a process in place to keep track of active schedules and any time a schedule is stopped or quit we get notified about it and can check into it to verify it was proper.  And yes, it happened a couple of times by an operator, hence the reason I implemented the schedule check.

• 14.  RE: Notify if job didn't started at specific time