Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Encrypting the JDBC Connection

Posted Jun 25, 2020 09:55 AM
    Hi folks,

Does anyone know if its possible to encrypt Oracle JDBC connections in V12.3?
    Certainly the ODBC connection can be configured on the Oracle client installation.

Standard setting from UCSRV.INI - 
    [JDBC]
    SQLDRIVERCONNECT=jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION= (LOAD_BALANCE=on) (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ABC
    I-SCAN-VIP)(PORT=1521)) (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=XYZ.WORLD)))

Seems like it should be possible from the Oracle link below, but i'm not sure if configurable by system admins or if it needs an Ideation topic.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/java.102/b14355/clntsec.htm#CHDFDDFG
    Setting Encryption and Integrity Parameters in Java
    Use a Java properties object, that is, an instance of java.util.Properties, to set the data encryption and integrity parameters supported by the JDBC Thin driver.

Note i previously opened a Broadcom case for this and it was closed without any comment!

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Encrypting the JDBC Connection
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 25, 2020 10:29 AM
    Hi Tony,

I don't have access to Oracle so it's just a guess. For MSSQL the connection string looks like this:

jdbc:sqlserver://[serverName[\instanceName][:portNumber]][;property=value[;property=value]]

In order to pass parameters via JDBC you have to use properties and values, i.e. integratedSecurity=true or instanceName=instance1

I assume the same applies to the Oracle JDBC connection string. So parameters could be as mentioned in table 10-2 on page https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/java.102/b14355/clntsec.htm#CHDIIAGE

regards,
    Peter

• 3.  RE: Encrypting the JDBC Connection

Posted Jun 25, 2020 01:35 PM

Hello Peter,  

We already have following ODBC that uses sqlnet.ora param "SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_CLIENT = REQUESTED". So it always initiates encrypted calls to Oracle DB. 

[ODBC]
    sqlDriverConnect=ODBCVAR=XXXXXXXX,DSN=XYZ;UID=ABC;PWD=<Password>;SP=NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICAN,NLS_TERRITORY=AMERICA,CODESET=XXXXXXXXXXXX 

But as Tony said, we have following in JDBC section of ucsrv.ini that is initiating non-encrypted calls to DB. 

[JDBC]
    SQLDRIVERCONNECT=jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION= (LOAD_BALANCE=on) (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ABC
    I-SCAN-VIP)(PORT=1521)) (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=XYZ.WORLD)))

So even if we follow below information, we are trying to figure out how / where to configure encryption strings for JDBC ? Any thought ?
    https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/java.102/b14355/clntsec.htm#i1022564

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Prosenjit

• 4.  RE: Encrypting the JDBC Connection

Posted Jun 25, 2020 02:03 PM
    Rather than configuring these settings in the connection string, you can set them on startup for the java processes.  We've done so using service manager, the relevant lines from uc4.smd are below.

VAR JAVA_OPTIONS; -Xmx512M -Doracle.net.encryption_client=REQUIRED -Doracle.net.crypto_checksum_client=REQUIRED
    VAR JWP_STARTCMD;java *JAVA_OPTIONS -jar ucsrvjp.jar -I*SRV_STARTPATH/ucsrv.ini
    VAR JCP_STARTCMD;java *JAVA_OPTIONS -jar ucsrvjp.jar -I*SRV_STARTPATH/ucsrv.ini -rest

You can also set the environment variable _JAVA_OPTIONS in something like /etc/profile to have all jvm's on your machine pick up those values. (This may be specific to oracle jdk, I'm not sure)

Jonathan Roster
    Analyst Programmer, Enterprise Computing Svcs.
    Information Services | Oregon State University
    541-737-4578 | is.oregonstate.edu

• 5.  RE: Encrypting the JDBC Connection

Posted Jun 28, 2020 11:43 AM
    Edited by PROSENJIT MAJI Jun 28, 2020 11:43 AM
    Hello Jonathan, 

Thanks for the guidance. After speaking to our Oracle DBAs, we enabled following 2 parameters in uc4.smd file. Thanks again. 

-Doracle.net.encryption_client=REQUIRED -Doracle.net.encryption_types_client=3DES168

Regards,
    Prosenjit