Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Alert if file not on time

• 1.  Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 01, 2019 10:10 AM
    Hello,

I am trying to build an alerting mechanism for my customer, to alert whether the file was not transferred within defined timeframe. I have a file event, watching for files availability within defined timeframe. What is your best pracise to alert, whether the file was not present within the timeframe (event process was not executed)?

Thanks for your suggestions!

• 2.  RE: Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 01, 2019 12:59 PM
    We usually send an email notification stating "the file was not available", the first time its not found and then if the customer wants us to still keep retrying for a grace period we do and abort/block the job.

------------------------------
    Thanks Shravani

• 3.  RE: Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 01, 2019 02:24 PM
    Thank you for your suggestion, but this is not helping in my case, as we are using file event and the event process (regarding integration) is ran only when the file(s) is found.

• 4.  RE: Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 01, 2019 02:35 PM
    What I'm doing to accomplish this is create and event that begins Sunday through Thursday at 00:00 with the following

File SystemTab
    Check PATH_FILE_COUNT=1 and FILE_CHANGED within 05:01 (File is expected not later than 05:00 Monday - Friday)  

Runtime Tab
    Maximum Run Time Fixed Value 05:00:00 Else Cancel / Quit Execute FILE_LATE_ALERT

• 5.  RE: Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 01, 2019 04:38 PM
    Thanks Timothy, this is very smart solution.

• 6.  RE: Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 01, 2019 05:09 PM
    Our approach is to program a new workflow to execute at the time of day we would like the alert to go out.  This workflow consists of a single task designed to send an email alert to the appropriate staff.   But this task also has a precondition rule that checks for the existence of the desired file.  This precondition rule either tells the email task to run or skip.

• 7.  RE: Alert if file not on time
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 02, 2019 03:32 AM
    One Automation, many ways ;-).

With Automation Engine V12 you might make use of the SLA object.

Head of chief line manager senior hot air warmer
    Swisscom

• 8.  RE: Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 02, 2019 04:14 AM
    Well, Joel, thanks for this. I guess this is the smartest solution, as the SLA object was build for that purpose. I already made a working solution, but will definitely build another one using the SLA object. Another reason is, that if I have an event of type FILE and the host is not active, it is not terminating after fixed MRT, because it's not considered as running when the host is inactive.

Thank you for your help!

• 9.  RE: Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 02, 2019 08:48 AM
    I personally never ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT objects directly. I always activate worklfows due to several reason. One is, that you might put the MRT on the JOBP so the MRT will apply even if the host is not available. Another reason is the availability of Pre/PostCondition that could check whether the agent is available before it starts.

The usage of the SLA object very depends on your design-concept. It might make sense if you have multiple requirements like this. If it is only useable for a few cases, your operations (if there is any) could be confused if an issue appears since the handling of SLA object differs from the rest.

In the end it's up to you what suits you best :-). Glad if I could help.

Head of chief line manager senior hot air warmer
    Swisscom

• 10.  RE: Alert if file not on time

Posted Jul 02, 2019 04:35 AM
    Well, Joel, this is actually the smartest solution I think, as the SLA object is built exactly for this purpose.

Thanks a lot!