Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 18, 2021 04:42 PM
    I have a department that changed over to new servers (and agents) with differnt names than the previous.  What they did not consider was there are a couple hundred IF workflows with the old agent name used.  Is there an easy way to convert all these to the new agent without opening every single one? To add they want the old server and agent usable so I can't simply rename the new agent.

• 2.  RE: changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 19, 2021 08:59 AM
    Speaking from our version of 12.3.4, if in the administration tab, if you find that agent in the agent and groups subset, you can right click and choose replace.  It should then list other like agents to choose to replace in the jobs steps.

• 3.  RE: changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 19, 2021 04:05 PM
    Just saw your reply.  What awesome functionality.  Thank you so much for sharing.

------------------------------
    Cheers,

Gary Chismar
    Manager, Automic, PeopleSoft HCM/FI
    Florida State University
    Florida

• 4.  RE: changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 19, 2021 09:31 AM
    We use HostGroups for all assignments so the change will only have to happen in a single entry to update all uses of that Agent. It also allows that Agent to change across environments without updating the job. Example; HOSTGROUP_A contains 1 level 1 test server, 1 level 2 server, 2 level 3 servers and 3 prod servers. When the job runs in level 1 or 2 test it runs against the single, yet in level 3 test it runs against 2 and prod against 3 servers. It is all left to the assignment of the Agents when connected to the system. HOSTGROUP_A could be used against multiple jobs so when servers change only HOSTGROUP_A must be changed. The replace option posted in this thread would also give you a quick change to all jobs using the host.

• 5.  RE: changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 19, 2021 10:04 AM
    To add a bit more clarity, these are IF workflows that the condition is to check file and designates the agent.  I am not getting an option for a host group in the agent selection as that was my first thought as well. Since there are a couple hundred of these workflows I'm looking for an easier way to change them all. I could potentially transport everything out and run a change.scri for the value but I'm having difficulty getting a good search to find the value.

• 6.  RE: changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 19, 2021 04:03 PM
    If it were me, I would do it by hand.  However, I would set up an agent group and put the new agent name in the group.  In the future, you would need to only update the agent group.

You could try sql update but I am unsure of the table name that would be storing that information.  There are others here that could tell you that, but I would have to go through all of them to find out.

Agent group is the way to go.  We have two agents that we use for our enterprise software.  When quarterly maintenance is due, I normally just remove the affected agent from the group.  I could also stop the agent, but that would require that no processes were running on it.  If one of the agents is down, then the agent group would automatically switch over to the other agent.  Awesome object.

Cheers,

Gary Chismar
    Manager, Automic, PeopleSoft HCM/FI
    Florida State University
    Florida

• 7.  RE: changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 19, 2021 05:58 PM

There are some places in this product that do not support agent groups, and it sounds like IF workflows are one of those places?  For instance I know that when you need to reference an agent as part of a task precondition "check file" function, you must hardcode the agent.  For this reason we added logic to our transportcase processes to automatically translate our agent names when moving objects between clients.

So another option for tim to consider, is to either export these objects to xml or extract them into a transportcase file, do a careful find-and-replace against that file, and then import the results.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 8.  RE: changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 22, 2021 02:08 AM
    Edited by Christoph Rekers Nov 22, 2021 07:57 AM
    For future designs where parameters differ between single environments (DEV, TEST, PROD) my suggestion is to use "curly brackets notation". When you enter the string, make sure the variable indicator is displayed (2). You get it by clicking the #| indicator (1):

Cheers
    Christoph 

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Automic AE Consultant and Trainer since 2000
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: changing agent i large number of IF workflows

Posted Nov 29, 2021 08:47 PM
    @Christoph Rekers  Well that's certainly how we should be doing it!  Guess I've got another upgrade project to work on.  Thanks!​​

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA