Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

• 1.  UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 07, 2020 04:06 PM
    Hello Team,
    Is it possible to update the date and time with respect to each client? Because app team runs batch jobs with future date in non-prod environments. Is there anyway to accommodate this feature in automic with client level? 

Prakash S

• 2.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 08, 2020 02:40 PM
    I have never found a way to fake the date in the automic product.

What we have accomplished however, is many of our apps run on Oracle, and our non-prod Oracles have been set up by our DBA staff to support fake date operations.  Then in automic we are able to pull most of our run-date parameters via SQL variables that run on these Oracle instances.

However this workaround does not solve all of the testers needs.  For instance it does not solve the problem of wanting your JSCH objects to initiate tasks based upon a fake date.  Our testers still have to kick off tasks manually to emulate those sorts of tests.

------------------------------
    Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 3.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 08, 2020 03:44 PM
    Thanks Pete. App team is asking to run scheduled jobs in JSCH with modified batch date. 
    Is there any plan to include this option in future release?

• 4.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 08, 2020 07:31 PM
    I seriously doubt it.  And I don't know how they would support such an idea without upsetting IT auditors.

If you want to submit your idea for consideration though, use the "Ideation" option in the menu above.  Make sure you put your idea into the "Automic Workload Automation" category.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 5.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 08, 2020 08:47 PM
    Thanks Pete. I posted in Ideation group. Can you please add your comments too? :)
    Just curious to ask how this impacts IT auditors. You mean is there a chance someone misuse this option :) ?

• 6.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 09, 2020 08:45 AM
    Maybe I don't fully understand the background of your requirement, but wouldn't the use of logical date solve your problems?
    https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.2/DOCU/12.2/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Executions/Exec_LogicalRealDate.htm

Cheers,
    Leonard

• 7.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 14, 2020 06:36 PM
    Hi Leonard,
    Logical date will be used for different scenario (Like across mid night). But not for scheduled jobs in JSCH. If I want to run scheduled jobs with future date or past date, we can not do with the current automic version. Let me know if you need more information.

• 8.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 15, 2020 07:47 AM

When you say "batch job", what is this date being used for? 

Do you want the ​job to look like it ran for a past or future date, or do you want to use a past or future date inside the job?

• 9.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 15, 2020 01:25 PM
    My assumption is that he wants calendar events to return results that are not based upon the current system date, but based upon some testers desire to emulate a different run date, so their JSCH objects can emulate a different day (e.g. month end).  I can not think of anyway to accomplish this... in my opinion it is not possible.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 10.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 15, 2020 02:14 PM
    Oh I see now. Maybe if we had a client setting to specify an offset between the system date and run date, then we could have the client run logically in the future, or something like that.

Cheers,
    Leonard

• 11.  RE: UC_CLIENT_SETTINGS - Automic 12.2.2.HF3

Posted Oct 15, 2020 05:07 PM
    Yes exactly right. If you bring any feature to include run date and system date and client functions based on those variables then it would be great idea :). It helps apps team in a big way.