Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Automic 12.3.3 database upgrade (MSSQL)

Posted Sep 15, 2020 05:27 PM
    Hello,

Currently myself and a few admins are working on deploying a new infrastructure (v12.3.3) of Automic Automation for Windows. During our "upgrade" we have opted to take a copy of our current existing database which is MSSQL 2012 and create and import that into a new instance. We are doing this so we can have our old environment still continue to run without any issues as we play around with this new infrastructure. When attempting to execute our database load utility to upgrade the schemas and tables via the ../db/general/12.3/UC.UPD.TXT file we have encountered an issue where the utility stops performing any actions. Now we did expect some delay in the response of the utility, but in the screen we reach a point where it registers the current db version and is working on upgrading it to 12.3, the utility then drops all proccessing and just sits there(we monitored for over 30 minutes with no change and no increase to processing). Review of the utility logs shows that the db connection string is able to resolve successfully and we can confirm that communication is open between Automation Engine and DB Server. I did expect to see a slight delay as I have performed this same upgrade method before (going from 11.2 to 12.3 base)
    My question is does anyone know why the utility would simply die? (the open GUI session or through CMD prompt simply doesnt ever continue, the GUI becomes unresponsive and needs to be killed from Task Manager, no errors are thrown either in log nor in GUI or cmd prompt when utility is ended.)
    From my perspective, in looking through logs, verifying correct file locations, db connectivity as well as no running automation engine processes, I cannot think of a reason why the utility would not be able to perform the upgrade.

Thank you,
    Genarro

• 2.  RE: Automic 12.3.3 database upgrade (MSSQL)

Posted Sep 16, 2020 02:46 AM
    Hi

The log of the DB.LOAD utility would really help a lot because my crystal ball for seeing Automic errors and telling the future is in the dishwasher :-P

cheers, Wolfgang

PS: in this case you can consider opening a support case as well.

------------------------------
    Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 3.  RE: Automic 12.3.3 database upgrade (MSSQL)

Posted Sep 16, 2020 09:04 AM

• 4.  RE: Automic 12.3.3 database upgrade (MSSQL)

Posted Sep 16, 2020 09:06 AM
    The log ends with the same message displayed on the GUI server. This was left overnight and these are the images from this morning.

• 5.  RE: Automic 12.3.3 database upgrade (MSSQL)
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 17, 2020 03:09 AM
    Hi Genarro,

before starting DB.Load please run the following statements on your MSSQL database:

ALTER DATABASE <your db name>  SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON

Does it solve the issue?

regards,
    Peter

Capture Europe