Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Process ignoring external dependency

Posted Dec 11, 2017 05:28 AM

We have a process which is on a calendar to make it run at 3.30 everyday.  The process has external dependencies which are on a calendar to only run at 3.30 on the last day of the month.  So the 1st process ignores these external dependencies everyday, which is fine.  However on the last day of the month, instead of it waiting for the external dependencies to run, it is also ignoring them on this day?  Any ideas why this is?

The properties of the external dependencies is set as 'only valid, when activated on the same logical date', else Wait.

• 2.  Process ignoring external dependency

Posted Dec 11, 2017 12:06 PM
    I know our users have had to play with the dates and calendars with the External Dependencies.  They tend not to use the same logical date settings as we had issues with that, but have had success with Lead Time Satisfaction (you'd have to set times based on your environment, and also your period turnarounds as well).
    Also, I remember during our move from UC4 to Automic that we were advised to watch for Alias names.  If you're using them, don't forget to include or remove them if applicable.
    I hope this is helpful and good luck!!

• 3.  Process ignoring external dependency

Posted Dec 11, 2017 01:00 PM
    Agree with Tina.

We've had similar results, and shy away from the "only valid when activated with the same logical date" feature.  This feature does not see objects that are scheduled to run on the same date unless they have already been activated (otherwise it would have to run a forecast process, which is far too expensive to do.)  So theoretically if you scheduled the 1st object to run at 3:31 everyday, then it will be able to detect the 3:30 scheduled objects when it needs to wait on them.

But rather than monkey with object start times (which would be a brittle solution as over time staff would forget why objects had funky start times), we usually set an appropriate calendar rule on the external dependency and use the "lead time satisfaction" feature.